.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

February 06, 2005

BIRTHDAY MUSINGS


Jennifer Jason Leigh Posted by Hello

I just yesterday told Gatsby that I never do the brain dump thing on my blog. Call me a liar GG. I had a most unusual Birthday. It was not a good one. Then I started thinking...

1. I was out of town all week. I got home expecting/hoping for a flood of birthday cards. I got one more than Charlie Brown got.

2. eCards are nice for day-to-day thoughts, Thinking of You, etc. But they should *not * be used as a substitute for a paper card. Guys out there. If you’re doing this, please cease immediately. You’re making it hard on the rest of us.

3. I *did * get a package slip and picked it up at the post office. A card and a beautiful Polo shirt. Loved it, but it didn’t fit. It was a medium and I’m a Large. I like looser fitting clothes. Don’t like tight.

4. I had neither alcohol nor cake for my birthday.

5. Wasted three hours watching The Aviator. Too long, too slow. Fell asleep. Reminded me of Citizen Kane for some reason. Kudos to Leonardo. Well-acted, son. Should have seen Meet the Fokkers instead. Could have used a laugh.

6. The ex is giving me difficulties. I’ll leave it at that.

7. My patterns keep following me. Am having trouble as usual.

8. Got lotsa b-day calls. But why do people who miss your birthday make up a million excuses as to why? Unless you’ve been hit by a Tsunami (shouldn’t really joke about that) or other natural disaster, or death in the family, what excuse could possibly be good enough to warrant missing someone’s birthday? Hey, if you forgot, admit it. It beats the hell outta makin’ up a million excuses, right? How long does it take to call someone? 30 seconds?

9. Received a drunk dial from an un-named person. The next day she didn’t remember any of the conversation or if she even called me. Bizarre.

10. Yesterday’s blog traffic was the lowest since pre-December. People, it’s OK to bug me on my birthday!

11. Actress Jennifer Jason Leigh and I were born on the exact same day. For that reason, I’ve always had a little crush on her. Happy b-day, JJL.

12. I share my birthday with these celebrities: Hank Aaron (homerun king), Barbara Hershey (Actress), Corey Wells (Singer, Three Dog Night), Red Buttons (Actor). Not too thrilling.

13. The god-awful song, Peppermint Twist by Joey Dee was #1 on the Billboard charts when I was born. I missed Duke of Earl by a few days. Crap.

14. Flowers were part of my birthday. I won’t tell you if I got some or sent them.

15. Found out that the *IT* girl got engaged. Wonder why she couldn't tell me.

16. Ironic (Robotnik, if this word is incorrect, feel free to sub in the correct one). Last night on SNL, Keane sang our (IT girl & me) song, Somewhere Only We Know.


17. I think my last fun birthday was when I turned 18. Dad threw me a huge party at my favorite restaurant. All my family and my two best friends were there. It was awesome.

18. My birthday horoscope said, “You’re quite popular this year, so use the opportunity. Increase efficiency and production. Once you’ve got the routine worked out, the money will start rolling in.” Hmm, sounds to me like I better hurry up and get the book published.

19. I’ve spent my last two birthdays alone. Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

20. Thinking about skipping next year’s birthday. Is it a leap year perchance
?

15 Comments:

  • Birthday alone? Ahhh, I was hoping to laugh at your adventures this morning (afternoon for you!) ~Kabe

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:27 PM, February 06, 2005  

  • I just found your site. I've only read a little of your stuff, but you sound really nice. So sorry about your birthday. They're really not all they are cracked up to be, but you sound just like me...you like to have at least a little recognition. Happy Birthday!

    By Blogger Carol, at 6:53 PM, February 06, 2005  

  • Tks Carol..don't ask around too much or you might change your mind about the 'nice' comment. Tks for stopping by.

    Jewels, I'm OK, really. Just venting. Felt good.

    By Blogger Plantation, at 8:12 PM, February 06, 2005  

  • That attitude of gratitude... it ain't just a platitude...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:41 AM, February 07, 2005  

  • The brain dump that is blogging cures yet another soul, albeit temporarily...

    And to think I was going to send you an e-card. Now that I know how you feel, though...

    It's important that you understand a birthday doesn't on its own have any power. We imbue these days with the meaning that gives them power to hurt or heal us. We build them up (buttercup) but sometimes they are just regular days, like any other. If you feel the need to celebrate a day and make it special, that can happen any day of the year. If you don't like the way your birthday turned out, put it aside. Next time you're having a wonderful time doing something, consider that your birthday.

    As the immortal Fiddy Cent opined: Go shorty. It's your birthday. We're gonna party like it's your birthday.

    Your birthday is whenever you want it to be...

    By Blogger Esther Kustanowitz, at 1:00 AM, February 07, 2005  

  • E, there are not many people in this world who can be as insightful and thoughtful as you have been. And at 1 in the morning, no less?

    By Blogger Plantation, at 1:06 AM, February 07, 2005  

  • oh cry me a river little JT. (wait, did I just call you Justin Timberlake and quote one of his songs....jesus)

    I *did* ask you when your birthday was.... I'm all for surprises for other people. I'll just have to plan something extra special for next year!

    I am sorry that you are didn't meet you expectations. I have have several birthdays that were completely shit. I was due a good one. I can promise you that there will be better ones for you in the future!

    By Blogger slow poke kate, at 7:55 AM, February 07, 2005  

  • I hate typos.

    Take 2

    oh cry me a river little JT (wait, did I just call you Justin Timberlake and quote one of his songs....jesus).

    I *did* ask you when your birthday was.... I'm all for surprises for other people. I'll just have to plan something extra special for next year!

    I am sorry that your day didn't meet your expectations. I have had several birthdays that were completely shit. I was due a good one.

    I can promise you that there will be better ones in the future! Plus, you have something to look forward to next year.

    By Blogger slow poke kate, at 7:57 AM, February 07, 2005  

  • It must be the sucky birthday year, although I DID have someone who put forth some effort to make mine better. Sorry the favor couldn't be returned. Didn't know it was your birthday.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:05 AM, February 07, 2005  

  • Yeah, birthdays have always sucked for me. Mine is in the summer, which means in school, i never got the happy bday pencil from the principal, i never got embarassed in the cafeteria and I was never able to even have a party because in the summer everyone came back to the US. Since then, they have still always sucked. I have never really had a bday party, much less a cool surprise party. And now, marc and I share the same bday so now I dont even get a day just about me. (pout pout) I'm such a spoiled brat. sigh...

    By Blogger Mrs. Architect, at 12:47 PM, February 07, 2005  

  • Happy Birthday Mr Noser...err, I mean MOSER
    It's the girl from Staybridge who never could get your name right! lol
    Just wanted to say Happy Birthday. You should have told me last week.
    Have a good day

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:39 PM, February 07, 2005  

  • Tks Joy for the visit and the wishes. Aren't you supposed to work Mondays?

    By Blogger Plantation, at 9:41 PM, February 07, 2005  

  • Your brain dump blogs are still more coherent than my planned ones. Happy (late) birthday.
    Birthday's are dissapointing because we expect too much. I just tell everyone I know that I'm going to be at said restaurant or bar at said time, and go out and have a good time. I don't worry about the rest really.
    A few good toys are nice too though!

    By Blogger Gatsby, at 11:14 PM, February 08, 2005  

  • Belated wishes to a wonderful friend... If Linus were there, he'd lick up your nose. And you'd like it.

    Happy Birthday.

    By Blogger Stephanie Klein, at 2:11 PM, February 09, 2005  

  • Birthday cake is overrated. My birthday has almost always occured on Passover (I was actually born the second Seder night) and I survived just fine without cake. (Icky pesachdik cake Does Not count)

    By Blogger Lyss, at 1:35 PM, February 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home