.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

December 14, 2004

DOCTOR MY EYES

I saw her today. She looked amazing as always. We spoke for 30 minutes or so. Mostly medical-related. We didn’t even talk about relationships, hers or mine. But it was good to catch up. I was probably 99% over her before we spoke. I think I backslid a couple of basis points after we were done. Not too bad, all things considered. I tried to leave all those thoughts right there in the parking lot. I parked in ’the spot.’ I noticed she didn’t anymore. Coincidence? I didn’t ask her; I didn’t want to get into it. She’s starting a new job next year. So, realistically? In all likelihood? I realized I might never see her again…

I had to go get a medical opinion on my ‘condition,’ as it were, for the upcoming divorce. Since my doctor was out, she had to see me. Jeez, I hadn’t seen her in over two months. I was a tad nervous, which was unusual for me, while I waited and waited. Yeah, I waited about 30 minutes in the waiting room and then waited another 45 in the exam room after they called my name.

As I waited, I reflected. This is where it all began some seven months ago. Same exam room even. I smiled to myself as the memories came pouring back. Had it really been seven months? Wow. I was a total mess back then. I feel like Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) in the Shawshank Redemption. Who could forget Ellis Boyd “Red” Redding’s (Morgan Freeman) voiceover…

…”Andy crawled to freedom through five-hundred yards of shit-smelling foulness I can't even imagine, or maybe I just don't want too. Five-Hundred yards... that's the length of five football fields, just shy of half a mile. Andy Dufresne… who crawled through a river of shit and came out clean on the other side…”

Overdramatic? Perhaps. But when I think back to May and think about where I am now, I think it’s pretty relevant.

Oh don’t worry. I’ll fill in the blanks. To know the blanks is to know the chase. To know the book. Intrigued? Hope so. Stay tuned…

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home