.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

January 24, 2005

THE PEOPLE’S CHOICE (FINALE)

I forgot to mention for those just joining us that the subject matter was inspired by a readers’ choice straw poll. I'm to blame for the format. For some reason it was my choice.

Part one
Part two
Last of three parts

Two years later, the moves and the stress all took a toll.
Our marriage had deteriorated and was no longer whole.
Another lost job, back to the unemployment line.
A million jobs I applied for, rejected each time.

Then my friend called me and had some good news.
A job paying $80s, move to Florida if I choose?
The toughest decision I’ll ever have to make,
I had to leave home & my son, did I make a mistake?

The rest, as they say, is hist-o-ry.
The worst year of my life, 2003.
But little did I know, all that was in store,
Even worse than 2003 was 2004.

A dumpy apartment, no furniture in place.
I was losing my mind, what a basket case!
Then to the rescue, seemingly out of the blue,
came my biggest supporter, I’ll give you a clue.

The very same woman I spoke about above,
She came with encouragement, energy, smiles, and love.
We talked of the past and put it behind,
She furnished my whole apartment, she cooked, she was kind.

Now we talk daily on the telephone.
If there’s one thing I know, I’ll never be alone.
Thank you dear mom, for bailing me out.
I best move on now or my readers will pout.

Still, heartbreak, depression, I cried my eyes out.
But then I met ‘her.’ She was THE ONE, no doubt.
Happy and sad. The cycle never ends.
My new sabotage hobby? Pretty girls with boyfriends.

Kinky sex thoughts swirled around in my head.
Is this the strangest thing I have ever said?
Public sex in the subway? On a 50-foot sailboat?
Fantasies of girls putting hands down my raincoat.

But wait it gets worse, quick someone call Fear Factor.
Now I’m eating chocolate beetles off a John Deere tractor.
Another strange dream, a romantic trip to Napa Valley.
Great food, great wine, and a girlfriend named Sally.

Despite the dreams, “you’re OK,” shrink tells me in therapy.
“The worst is over, but you really need a hobby.”
“What are you you passionate about,”
shrink asked me one night?
I thought it over, and told her I loved to write.

So listen up y’all, I’m gonna keep writin’!
I know, I know. That prospect is frightenin’!
But my brain is too full; I need to unclog.
Thanks Urban Kvetch for suggesting a blog.

I’ve gained so many dear friends, so important to me.
I even met one in person, you know her as Greek Tragedy.
She was apprehensive. Meeting me alone.
This I described to mom on the phone.

“Sent her what? Are you kidding? That’s so bizarre!”
Yes mom. crunchy cheese doodles, make-up, sniffing glue and Twix bars.
Memories I know that I’ll never forget.
They’ll help me get through these times of pain and regret.

Divorce almost final. Another chapter to finish.
My motivation, my zest for life certainly won’t diminish.
Pretty corny this whole poem, it might be the last time,
I ever attempt to write strictly in rhyme.

Those are the highlights, but there’s so much more in between.
That’s why there’s the book, Chasing The American Dream.
Have I covered your requests, your topics? You are MY voice.
For this strange ride I’ve written for you called The People’s Choice.

9 Comments:

  • If you're going to write, you're going to need to read. And no...SONGS/MUSIC doesn't count--I don't care what you say or think.

    Lots of work to do--tons of pages to read.

    Luck.

    By Blogger (S)wine, at 12:49 PM, January 24, 2005  

  • ...you still suck.
    and also...what the feck do you think this is, Beowulf?

    By Blogger (S)wine, at 2:45 PM, January 24, 2005  

  • bravo!!! those posts were fun! Thanks for sharing your talent once again. ;)

    Stay cool daddy-o.

    Hope you are resting more!! ;)

    By Blogger slow poke kate, at 6:22 PM, January 24, 2005  

  • No...we DIE day by day.

    By Blogger (S)wine, at 8:20 PM, January 24, 2005  

  • and you lx, you must be Grendel...hmmm.

    How petentious of you to assume PT needs to 'read more', and after careful consideration I have come to { this conclusion; you have hardly a life and need to pick at others to satisfy your own needs. Maybe Todd can teach you a few things about caring, sensitivity toward others, and being a friend. I feel pity for you my friend.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:37 PM, January 24, 2005  

  • So, how sturdy is a straw pole? Can I use it to fly a flag or prop open a window?

    (I'm a grammar bitch, I know...)

    By Blogger Esther Kustanowitz, at 11:35 PM, January 24, 2005  

  • What on Earth are you talking about, girl? "You gin drunk? You talk jibberish."

    1 Jus' kiddin'...tks, how embarrassking (Popeye, not a type, GB)
    2 Bonus bonus points if you can guess the movie.
    3 Do you want my vote or not?
    4 You're OK, kid.

    By Blogger Plantation, at 1:32 AM, January 25, 2005  

  • 5 Please ignore my 'type' typo above.

    By Blogger Plantation, at 2:13 AM, January 25, 2005  

  • Anon...not pretentious at all. Just honest. To be a good writer, you must be a phenomenal reader. That's kind of the proportion.

    Also, Todd and I are friends, and I'm sure if he felt patronized, he'd have told me. Plus, he knows I'm not being an ass to him.

    As far as having compassion and love...well, I think you better talk to my wife of 10 years, and my 6 month old child (well, she can babble anyway). I think they'll vouch for me on those rubrics.

    By Blogger (S)wine, at 8:57 AM, January 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home