.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

January 30, 2007

NO DEAL



While I’m on the subject of TV reviews, is there any show more annoying than Deal or No Deal? I watched it last week as a prelude to Heroes. It may have been the worst show I’ve ever seen, but I wanted to give it a second chance so I tuned in once again before Heroes. My opinion didn’t change and for sure, I’ll never watch it again. I honestly can’t think of any redeeming qualities the show possesses. OK, it does have suspense so I’ll give it that. Oh, and if you like pretty models performing Vanna White-type duties, then maybe the show’s for you.

The biggest problem with the show is its contestants. I’m not exactly sure how they’re picked, but I think it must be something similar to The Price is Right where people stand in a line to get in, and they pick the contestants that have the most “personality.” Only these contestants make the Price is Right contestants look like library partisans. They’ve gotta be the most obnoxious, loud, unintelligent, and of course greedy people I’ve ever seen. Contestants with an IQ of over 50 need not apply. Last week, I watched this incredibly annoying bug-eyed lady turn down deal after deal. Tens of thousands of dollars weren’t enough for her. She was greedy and wanted to win a million dollars. Now, as if she wasn’t annoying enough, her friends and family were even more obnoxious and annoying. It was nauseating to watch and I found myself rooting hard against her. I laughed my ass off when all she walked off with was $500.

Last night, there were more annoying contestants and more annoying contestants’ families. Easy to root against. In a similar pattern, they frittered away thousands of dollars as the audience and family members kept insisting to refuse deals. To top all this off, the show’s creators somehow chose a washed-up comedian (Howie Mandel) to emcee the show. Long gone was the long frizzy hair he used to have, now replaced with a bald head. He’s not funny and doesn’t really try to be. He’s not annoying anymore because he can let the contestants handle that aspect. Actually, he’s got a pretty easy job. He watches the contestants make fools of themselves and utters the largely becoming popular phrase, “Deal or no deal.” Howie baby, the decision is pretty easy for me. No deal.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • Too true. It's certainly no Identity... whose return in March I am greatly anticipating.

    By Blogger Bart, at 9:33 AM, January 31, 2007  

  • AHH!!! I saw that episode with that bug eyed lady! She was SO annoying!! She started to make me twitch so I had to turn the channel.

    By Blogger Mrs. Architect, at 12:23 PM, January 31, 2007  

  • I agree. Dumbest show I've ever seen. and it's actually popular? Geez. Scary. Especially when there's so much good stuff on TV these days.

    By Blogger Elizabeth Krecker, at 3:05 PM, January 31, 2007  

  • I don't watch this show, but I do like Howie, even if he is washed up.

    I have very little patience with TV these days, everything is a bunch of crap! The only shows I like are Law & Order, but there are so many repeats, and Grey's Anatomy. On occasion I will watch Criminal Minds - but not religiously.

    Crap, I tell ya, real crap.

    By Blogger Caterina, at 3:39 PM, February 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home