.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

December 04, 2005

SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY


I call my son Andy, “Tin Man” because he’s such a sentimental little guy. I wonder where he gets it from? I spent this weekend moving out of Plantation. I don’t know why I get so nostalgic when I move. I guess because I know I’m putting another chapter of my life behind me. This was a particularly tough chapter. These two years have arguably been the toughest two years of my life. There were times I questioned the value of life. Was it even worth living? I got through divorce, a new job, depression, missing my son, and finding then losing the woman I thought I was going to spend the rest of my life with. I look back and marvel that I got through it. My family, my friends, my doctors, and even you bloggers out there helped me. All the while I was living in Plantation.

So maybe that’s why I felt a bit of sadness making my last drive around the neighborhood. I hugged and said goodbye to April at Winn-Dixie and Evyan at Starbucks. I gave my neighbors a homemade roof tile Hurricane Wilma souvenir before locking my apartment door for the last time. I’ve heard the expression, “Don’t look back,” but I’ve never applied it to me. I always take that last look back. I think it’s because I know I might be back some day. I know I’ll be back. There are golf courses to play and hockey games to attend. So yes, I peeked behind me as I drove away today. I can’t help it.
Tonight marks the beginning of a new chapter. My first night in my new apartment in Coconut Grove. I even plan to utilize the bedroom. No more sleeping on the couch. I think I've finally graduated after two years. It all feels a little special. There’s so much to look forward to. So much anticipation. It’s a good feeling. Sentimental, but good.

5 Comments:

  • Sentimental journey... brought a smile to my face. My grandfather used to play that song on the piano all the time before he passed away when I was 16. As a wedding gift, my mom had an old recording of him playing burned onto a CD and we danced to it for our wedding song. Of course, I was hysterically crying way too hard to really dance, but it was still a wonderful moment. Just thought I'd share :)

    There's nothing wrong with being sentimental... it's beautiful!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:59 AM, December 05, 2005  

  • Definitely sleep in the bedroom - get some really nice sheets, too. (Make the transition something special and you'll feel happy and positive about it!)

    By Blogger Denise, at 4:23 PM, December 05, 2005  

  • Denise has a good idea buy some new 400 count or higher sheets. Sleep in softness. I loved the way you wrote about never being afraid to look back. I feel that way too. We learn lessons and looking back is a good reminder of the lessons we have learned..

    By Blogger Smiles, at 2:04 PM, December 06, 2005  

  • Good luck in the new place. As we Jews say, m'shaneh makom, m'shaneh mazal: if you change your place/location, your luck often changes as well.

    How close is Coconut Grove to Boca or Ft. Lauderdale?

    By Blogger Esther Kustanowitz, at 3:35 PM, December 06, 2005  

  • I cried upon closing up my most recent place of residence for teh last time. I loved it so much as a building- wood floors, french doors, original woodwork (and to leave it to end up in the smei-projects...that's a whole other thing).
    I was both happy and sad to put the past 4 years behind me.

    Good luck in the new place.

    By Blogger Lyss, at 1:20 PM, December 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home