.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

November 17, 2005

FAREWELL, PLANTATION

Voila! An American Dream.
Yeah, we can travel, girl, without any means.
When it's as easy as closing your eyes
And dream Jamaica is a big neon sign.
Just think Jamaican in the moonlight.
Sandy beaches, drinking rum every night.
We got no money, mama, but we can go;
We'll split the difference, go to Coconut Grove.

Lyrics by The Dirt Band from the song, American Dream

It’s official. It’s sad. It’s time. I’m moving out of Plantation. The three hours of commuting each day is too much. I found a place about a five minute walk from work. As the song so eerily states, the American Dream is indeed moving to Coconut Grove. It’s about 40 miles Southeast of Plantation near downtown Miami. I’m not real happy about having to move, but I must retain my sanity. Driving the South Florida highways in rush hour traffic is not the way to retain one’s sanity. I may not be living here, but it will forever be a part of me. Can’t change the name now, right? I mean what else would you call me? Coconut? CG? The artist formerly known as Plantation? I think I’ll just stick with Plantation. I’ll miss living here, but I’m looking at it this way. My days just got three hours longer.

18 Comments:

  • Good for you! About time. Losing the stress of that commute will add years, not hours to your life.

    Now go out and celebrate this weekend!

    Glad you're posting again, was beginning to wonder about you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:21 PM, November 17, 2005  

  • The move will do wonders for you...trust me! You won't even know what to do with all of that free time. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:07 AM, November 18, 2005  

  • Coconut Grove... love it! I have an Uncle who lives there. I just love the name of the town.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:46 AM, November 18, 2005  

  • we could always call you just plain nuts ;-)~ i'm glad somebody gets shorten their drive!! god knows it's not me!!

    By Blogger Just Me, at 3:03 PM, November 18, 2005  

  • How about we call ya CocoPlant? Haha, just kidding.

    Thats going to be quite a difference, no? Plantation (the area) is very quiet, somewhat friendly, & family-esque. CocoGrove is busy, active, even wild, yes? But then again that may be just what a single guy like yourself is really looking for. Don't spend too much time and work. Try to get out and enjoy CG.

    Hope the move is smooth.

    By Blogger Caterina, at 3:37 PM, November 18, 2005  

  • Enjoy the extra free time and remember that you can always go back to visit.

    By Blogger Denise, at 3:58 PM, November 18, 2005  

  • All this time and we've never met, and now you're moving!! Away!!! Far away!!!

    By Blogger Michelle, at 6:12 PM, November 18, 2005  

  • PT :) this is exciting! I always enjoy moving. :) What's your place like?

    By Blogger slow poke kate, at 6:21 PM, November 18, 2005  

  • Hey Todd. I just closed on my condo today. I'm moving in when you are moving out. Don't forget to email me your new address.
    Michelle

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:44 PM, November 18, 2005  

  • Hey PT this sound exciting.I can understand not wanting to drive 3 hours to work everyday. I really enjoy reading your blog. Take care my friend and good luck with the move.

    By Blogger Smiles, at 8:03 AM, November 19, 2005  

  • Thanks everyone. My new place is small, but nice. I'll take some pix when I move in. Love to you all...

    By Blogger Plantation, at 12:39 PM, November 19, 2005  

  • I think you made a great choice. How many of us say, "If only there were more hours in the day" but don't have a chance to change that? Good luck to you!

    By Blogger Genna, at 10:25 PM, November 19, 2005  

  • Congrats on extending your day. Now you have all that time to write. Woo Hoo!

    By Blogger Sass, at 10:42 PM, November 19, 2005  

  • I am looking for what people are thinking when asked the question: "What is the American Dream?" I need this information for a class as part of my graduate degree.

    Please email me at ajett@bakeru.edu with your response

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:31 PM, November 20, 2005  

  • Welcome to the club. Good luck with the move. Hope you're liking the new job.

    By Blogger Lyss, at 6:07 AM, November 21, 2005  

  • Ooohh...sounds exciting and exotic! I'm jealous!

    You'll always be plantation to me. :-)

    By Blogger Mrs. Architect, at 10:38 AM, November 22, 2005  

  • Coconut grove?

    I 've been there last summer when I was in Miami:-)

    Ciao from icing Italy (is snowing there ) :-(((

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:40 AM, November 29, 2005  

  • Being able to walk to work is one of the most underrated pleasures of life.
    Enjoy every minute of that commute!
    G

    By Blogger Gatsby, at 10:04 PM, December 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home