.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

May 29, 2005

LET IT SNOW


Posted by Hello
I returned to Ft. Lauderdale’s grungy, dingy, smoky, raucous, yet intimate, Culture Room for the next stop on Plantation’s summer concert tour. I’ve waited for Snow Patrol to come back since September when the concert got canceled due to a Hurricane. Let me tell you people, it was well worth the wait. I skipped the first two opening bands that played at last week’s Raveonette’s concert. The third opening band called Athlete was very good. Nice group of lads from the UK with a nice sound. They warmed up the crowd nicely, and when Snow Patrol took the stage just after 11 p.m., the small, intimate crowd roared their approval.

SP opened with the familiar “Chocolate.” The band looked and sounded revved. The crowd immediately joined lead singer Gary Lightbody (formerly of Reindeer Section) sing every word. I loved the interaction of the band with the crowd. Gary asked “us” if we survived the hurricane, took requests, and sported an overall dry sense of humor. They played some old songs and played a few new ones, but they mostly played every song on their current “Final Straw” CD. I listened and, as is my usual, I took several moments to look around and gather in my surroundings and appreciate where I was and how special times like these were. How wonderful is it that I’m hearing such good music, standing a mere 20 feet from the band, and sharing it all with 200 of my closest friends?

SP closed with the beautiful and haunting ballad “Run” and came back for a two-song encore. They said they’d be back here next year after the release of their new CD. I can’t wait. In the meantime, go ahead and treat yourself to the Final Straw CD. It’s great. Pack up the bus folks. Keane is next.

11 Comments:

  • NIce! last time i was at an "arena" concert it was U2s The Unforgettable Fire (1984). Small venues are the way to go. By the way, Raveonettes on Friday here in Chapel Hill were fabulous. Must get to see Snow Patrol, just must.

    By Blogger (S)wine, at 7:15 AM, May 30, 2005  

  • ....JEALOUS. SO VERY JEALOUS.....

    By Blogger slow poke kate, at 5:30 AM, May 31, 2005  

  • Is that the Culture Room near Pure Platinum? Does Pure Plat still even exist? Just curious ;)

    Glad to hear you had a good time. I'm with robotnik....small venues are the best. I saw NIN at a small theatre in Tampa, best fekkin concert ever. Have fun at Keane!

    By Blogger Caterina, at 7:55 PM, May 31, 2005  

  • Plantation, I must know... who is Todd Martin... and where can I find more songs like... "She Knows?" I am such an addict... but it's like being addicted to one potato chip. I can't live like this.

    By Blogger Stephanie Klein, at 10:47 PM, May 31, 2005  

  • Wow, a visit from rarified air. What do you think folks, should we tell her??

    By Blogger Plantation, at 1:38 AM, June 01, 2005  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Caterina, at 3:09 AM, June 01, 2005  

  • Ooops, not sure what the heck I did there?!

    What I meant to say was - look at his website, it says.....

    Note: Todd does not play Tennis NOR live in Newfoundland.

    Just Google him (+music)!

    By Blogger Caterina, at 3:12 AM, June 01, 2005  

  • I was gonna say Todd Martin was a high-ranked pro tennis player (now retired)...big guy too (6'6") with a great serve and volley game. He was former president of the ATP; went to college at Northwestern, and was a Wimbledon semi-finalist (among other great results).

    Also? I know him as a friend. He's a wonderful man and father of two kids. Methinks he hasn't put out any songs, though, in his career.

    By Blogger (S)wine, at 6:37 AM, June 01, 2005  

  • ...but if he has, STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

    By Blogger (S)wine, at 11:27 AM, June 01, 2005  

  • 200 of your closest friends, what about the one friend you invited to go with you??? Yes folks, Todd DIDN'T go alone. My review on the first band we saw - Great! Definitely music you'd hear on the current alternative radio stations. Snow Patrol not only played an awesome set, I was amazed at the light show and production!! It was like being at a large concert but close to the band. I'm really impressed with the Culture Room!! Although it is a bit smoky it definitely isn't "grungy and dingy". I can take you places in Dallas that fit that bill.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:54 PM, June 01, 2005  

  • Such a newsworthy development! Our friend isn't the companionless recluse we once perceived him to be! *yawn*

    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right? Maybe it is a great little venue despite its flaws. Either way, you can't argue with one's own perception of an experience.

    Peace.

    By Blogger JuRiScHiCk, at 8:18 PM, June 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home