.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

May 23, 2005

THAT GREAT LOVE SOUND


Posted by Hello

Posted by Hello
For an old guy like me, it was as if I was in a time warp. Turn back the clock some 40 years to the sounds of surf groups, girl groups, rockabilly, 60s guitar licks, and wonderful harmonies. Tonight’s Raveonettes concert felt and sounded like it was 1965 again. Yes, I had to endure two lousy, noisy, opening acts and a small, dark, smoke-filled club. But it was sure worth it especially when you consider the ticket was only $15, and I stood a mere 20 feet from the band.

I first heard of The Raveonettes about a year ago. For those of you with Plantation CDs, check out CD XI song 1 (That Great Love Sound) and CD XIII song 16 (Remember). Now they’ve got a new CD out. If one had to capture ‘the sound’ of the Raveonettes, look no further than “Love In A Trashcan.” Take a listen to the sample and you’ll see {hear} what I mean. The Raveonettes are truly a flashback. I mean what 20-something alternative band records early 60s remakes such as “My Boyfriend’s Back?” Yet the Danish duo of Sune Rose Wagner and Sharin Foo pull it off flawlessly. I wonder how much longer it will be until they get noticed? I’m guessing fairly soon.

They rocked the house for nearly 90 minutes. I was a fan before, but I’m a huge fan now. I went solo, and it was cool. But it pains me that I can’t share this awesome live music with anyone. Ah well. Next stop? Saturday and Snow Patrol. *That* concert will be awesome and I can’t wait. Even *if* I’m going solo.

5 Comments:

  • Sounds like a totally awesome concert - I'll have to keep an eye out in case they make it all the way over here.

    By Blogger Denise, at 10:16 AM, May 23, 2005  

  • D, well worth it.

    Dancer, good point man.

    By Blogger Plantation, at 9:01 PM, May 23, 2005  

  • sounds great! i often find myself experiencing amazing art by myself. i often wish to have someone to share it with but also wonder if part of the experience isn't enhanced by being able to take it in so fully, without having to contend with another person's perspective. or maybe that's just because i haven't found someone as into it as i.

    By Blogger Amanda, at 1:35 PM, May 25, 2005  

  • going to see them here , in Raleigh, tomorrow night.

    By Blogger (S)wine, at 1:30 PM, May 26, 2005  

  • great show last night.
    you'll love them live.

    By Blogger (S)wine, at 7:04 AM, May 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home