.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

September 10, 2007

SPLENDID HIBERNATION

Yes yes, it’s time for me to make like a bear in the winter. Dating season for me is over. Heck, last year I made it to November 2nd before hanging it up. I must say that in my four years post-divorce, this is by far the worst year I’ve had. I’ve really nothing to show for all the people I’ve met this year. I have to think really hard about this, but I don’t believe I even made one friend this year. I don’t believe I’ve kissed anyone this year. And sex? What’s that?

I’ve certainly posted my share of horror stories along the way. Be it long distance or local, nothing has seemed to work for me. With long distance you gotta worry about the Russians and the Africans trying to scam you. Even with the locals, you gotta first figure out if they’re real. And the women I’ve met have mistaken my kindness and niceness for liking them too much too soon. Yes I know, I need to be more aloof, more unavailable, harder to get. That’s something I’ll work on for next year’s dating season. So for now, maestro queue the music. Pete Yorn, take it away (click video)…

Splendid isolation
I don't need no one
Splendid isolation

Don't want to wake up with on one beside me
Don't want to take up with nobody new
Don't want nobody coming by without calling first
Don't want nothing to do with you









Labels:

4 Comments:

  • I am glad to be the first comment! Yeah! I have been reading your blog for a couple of months now and very much enjoy it! I have caught up on your life for the last three years. I am not some strange internet stalker- just curious about other people's lives and their reactions to life. I also wanted to let you know that you should never give up. Someday, when you aren't looking, she will show up. You may not know it immediately, but at some point it will show. I just started blogging on here and I credit you. I even did so in my blog, although I didn't use your name or blog because I didn't want to without permission. The other two of you three are Greek Tragedy, (that is how I found your blog) and The Girl Who- found via Greek as well. Feel to check it out, leave a comment. Criticize me harshly or ignore me. I am thankful to read your blog daily!

    http://livingupstream.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger Phoenix, at 11:55 AM, September 11, 2007  

  • Plant - I've been "with you" for a long time now, and I've followed all your stories. Shit, I think I even was one of those stories (not really, but whatev). Sometimes I'm too bold & honest on here and I hope you're OK with it.
    I was gonna say "hang in there" and "there is someone out there for everyone." But why sugarcoat it? It's hell out there Todd, fucking hell. Does that mean you should throw in the towel. No! I don't think so.

    Like Churchill said, "Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in.... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy."

    Not that you should consider dating or women as the "enemy," but you get the point.

    By Blogger Caterina, at 5:06 PM, September 11, 2007  

  • I'm contemplating joining the sit-in, my friend.

    Single people are terrified of what someone will want from them. I'm tempted to hand out disclaimers: I am not seeking to drain you of your assets. I have my own job. We WILL be sharing chores and bills. I don't put out on the first date and NO, it will NEVER be okay to ask if my girlfriend wants to join in.

    You get the idea. People are freaks.

    You go on a date, chemistry is there... you make out, there are promises to call and have date number two. Then not a thing. WTF? That never used to happen in my world.

    You go on another date and there's no chemistry at all, and you start to wonder if you're on another planet. People don't date like they used to.

    Everyone's a bit of a whore. Good luck, my dear.

    By Blogger JuRiScHiCk, at 9:52 PM, September 11, 2007  

  • Phoenix, thanks for the kind words and good luck with the blog. Cat, you WERE one of the stories but I never wrote about it. And I'm not necessarily quitting, I"m just taking an extended leave of absence. JC, I wouldn't know about the making out part. not this year anyway.

    By Blogger Plantation, at 2:51 AM, September 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home