.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

March 26, 2007

EMPTY


Is there any worse feeling really? It’s that pit in your stomach feeling caused by something missing. Recent relationship break-ups leave you that way, don’t they? If you’re sports oriented, maybe your team misses that last second shot or field goal and you’re left feeling “that” way. For me, ‘empty’ hits me a minimum of twice per year, and the tank is on “E” now.

The car is empty; there’s no one in the passenger seat working the radio controls like a DJ. I come home; the apartment is empty. No infectious smile to see, no indoor basketball games going on. No one to buy groceries for or to cook for. No one to buy shoes and socks for. No homework to help with. No one fast asleep in my bed surrounded by treasured stuffed animals.

It’s quiet again. There’s no one watching sports on TV with me. No one asking me pointed questions. No one to share life’s lessons and experiences. No game companion, no restaurant buddy. It’s all rather empty again. Where does the time go? Each time I see him, there’s less of that little boy I used to know and more of the young man who’s coming into his own. He’s passionate, sentimental, competitive, and brilliant. I miss him already…

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Now I can say, with all honesty, that I understand what it is to love your own child, to have your very heart beating outside your chest. I'm not sure how you do it, having him so far away. Hope you're together again soon.

    By Blogger Caterina, at 3:27 AM, March 28, 2007  

  • Aw, your boy is such a handsome guy. It's so nice you cherish those moments.... and be the best dad you can be. Hang in there :)

    By Blogger California Girl, at 12:24 PM, March 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home