.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

February 12, 2006

MISMATCH



I saw my first movie in nearly a year. Great anticipation turned into utter disappointment. I have two favorite starlets of mine. Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson. And now each has been in an almost equally disappointing film, at least in my humble opinion.

I saw Closer last year and it depressed the hell out of me. I found I couldn’t root for any of the characters, not even Natalie. Yet the picture was critically acclaimed. Yesterday, I went to see Match Point knowing little about the film as usual. I knew Woody Allen directed it and that it received favorable reviews. Well, I won’t give away the movie details, but it so much reminded me of Closer. I’ve never walked out of a movie but could have easily walked out of this one. It was slow-moving, long, and well there’s that D-word. Maybe I’m not quite ready for depressing films? I think the critics raved because it was such a departure for Woody. Different he was and so mission accomplished.

Huh I see Woody is up for a Best Original Screen play Oscar. I need to see Squid and The Whale and Crash, Woody’s competition. I have a feeling I would like both of those films. I guess the price I pay for going into movies blindly, avoiding trailers and detailed reviews is that I set myself up for major disappointment. I suppose the flipside is true, too. Million Dollar Baby comes to mind. But for now, I really need to avoid dark, depressing films. The urge to cry is great and they leave me in a horrible empty state-of-mind. Game, set, mismatch. On a positive note, spending two hours with Natalie or Scarlett isn’t the worst thing in the world.

9 Comments:

  • I just don't like movies about cheating cheating cheating. Even though I love both natalie & scarlett... I felt the same way you did.

    We watched Wedding Crashers Friday and I laughed so hard... it's the 2nd time I've seen it and it's definitely a fun, laid back film... I'd suggest something more along those lines!! :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:47 PM, February 12, 2006  

  • I was just mentioning how I wanted to see Match Point but after reading what you wrote about it, I'll wait unti DVD release.

    I agree with you on Closer. Other than the Opening scene, it stunk like a carton of spoiled milk and the message was terrible not to mention the bad attempts of shielding Julia's pregnancy.

    A friend of mine went to Yale with Natalie and well - I'm not going to slam her here or anywhere for that matter b/c she can act but let's think about why actors choose the roles they do.

    By Blogger Sass, at 1:05 AM, February 13, 2006  

  • I hated Closer, but I loved Mystic River. I guess it wasn't the "darkness" of the characters in Closer that bothered me, but something certainly did. That said, I didn't really like Crash, either. I get why it was hailed and all, but it just didn't sit with me like it should have I suppose.

    By Blogger Amy, at 9:40 AM, February 13, 2006  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Caterina, at 12:27 AM, February 14, 2006  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Caterina, at 12:40 AM, February 14, 2006  

  • I was trying to say something, but forget it. Geesh.

    By Blogger Caterina, at 12:42 AM, February 14, 2006  

  • I loved Closer. The acting was so great, I thought. Definitely not uplifting but good none-the-less.

    By Blogger Miss Scarlet, at 9:22 AM, February 14, 2006  

  • The friend I saw Closer with had the same reaction as you did about Match Point (I haven't seen it yet). Closer was intruiging, but it was awful to see characters who could only be honest with each other if it was intended to be hurtful.
    I saw "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf" a few weeks ago and felt the same way about it. It had some humorous moments, but most of it was pretty harsh.
    I'd recommend the Squid and the Whale. It's a bit sad too, but has more of a humerous take, and there are a few characters (namely the children) that you do relate to.

    By Blogger Gatsby, at 10:11 PM, February 19, 2006  

  • "Closer" was rough, but worth it...it introduced me to the music of Damien Rice...brilliant!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:39 PM, March 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home