.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

January 30, 2005

FAIR FIGHT?


$million movie Posted by Hello

I’m usually one of the last persons, if not *the* last, to leave the theater. I watch all the credits roll, see all the people involved in the making the film, check out the soundtrack info, and just squeeze every drop out of the movie that is humanly possible. But I couldn’t stick around for this one. In fact, I was the FIRST person to leave. As soon as I saw, “Directed by Clint Eastwood,” I bolted like a bat outta hell…

I am no match for movies anymore. I am a weak opponent. A pushover. You shouldn’t ask me, “Oh, how was the movie?” (note the correct placement of the ?) Why? Because I’m not sure I can give you an objective answer anymore. As you know, I cry a lot now. I’m OK with it and my manhood and all that shit. But these damn movies ‘get’ to me. Last week, I cried during “In Good Company” which was sort of a hokey movie. I liked it. See? That’s what I mean. I got emotional and it probably clouded my judgment, or lack thereof. Was it a good movie? It was a nice movie. But I think it’s safe to say it wasn’t Oscar material. I cried nonetheless.

I made up my mind that I want to see all the Best Picture nominees. I haven’t done this since probably ’87 or so. I saw "Sideways" back when no one ever heard of it. I loved it. It was bittersweet, but I didn’t cry. Tonight I saw “Million Dollar Baby.” My problem here is not being able to tell you about the movie because I don’t want to give anything away. I *will* say that I was paralyzed during the entire last hour. I could hardly breathe. I was having to take some major deep breaths. It was as if I, myself, was in a boxing match/bout, whatever. Clint hit me where it hurts me the most. In my heart. And yes, tears were uncontrollably streaming down my face even as I bolted out that door. {sigh}

I’m only now regaining my composure. Slowly. Movies are beating the hell outta me. Clint nearly knocked me out cold. This here writer wannabe has been beaten up emotionally for two years runnin’. I literally have no shot when I walk into the theater. Seems like they’re all knocking me down. But as I think through the cobwebs of my exhausted mind, I can conclude that Clint’s movie is, in fact, Oscar worthy. Bottom line? Go see it. So far, it's my personal Best Picture. And hey, if you don’t like it, you can think back to this post. Back here where I described the championship team of Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, and Hilary Swank going up against a weakened Plantation Todd. Clearly not a fair fight.



6 Comments:

  • I didn't cry when I saw Million Dollar Baby. I think I was too into it to cry or something because I didn't even get the urge. Considering the movie, that's pretty sick.

    Glad that you saw it and liked it. Glad that you cried. You should've.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:14 AM, January 30, 2005  

  • Yea, I agree...this film takes a fantastic turn halfway through. Just fabulous.

    And...I, like you, tend to get attracted to films directed by Clint. He's done quite a few amazing ones. No one talks about "Bird" the story of Charlie Parker, directed by Clint in '88 (I think). Forest Whitaker played Charlie Parker--it was a fabulous picture.

    I also liked "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil." I liked it better than the book--the book read like a travelogue. Clint made it a comprehensive story.

    By Blogger (S)wine, at 8:36 AM, January 30, 2005  

  • You just convinced me even more to go see it.

    I like a man who's not afraid to admit he cries. That's sexy. Much more so than a tough, emotion-less man who is afraid to show that side.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:50 PM, January 30, 2005  

  • Girl from FL...that opens up a whole new discussion. The tears vs. stoic man.
    I, for one, prefer my men like Bogart. Call me ol' fashioned. Well...I suppose after that kind of statement, call me gay.

    ouch, babe!

    By Blogger (S)wine, at 7:56 PM, January 30, 2005  

  • I didn't cry. But that's because bloggers ruined it for me weeks ago by [SPOILER ALERT: IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE YET AND WANT TO, RUN AWAY, NOW!] saying that the movie's nothing more than an overblown polemic for the liberal agenda.

    But you can never go wrong with a Morgan Freeman voiceover.

    By Blogger Esther Kustanowitz, at 5:11 PM, January 31, 2005  

  • What a crock of rubbish. I hope you didn't listen to them...although it looks like you did.

    By Blogger (S)wine, at 8:09 PM, February 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home