.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

May 06, 2005

THE KNACK

Muh-muh-muh my Sharona…muh-muh-muh my Sharona.

No, no, no, not *that* knack. Ya see, with few exceptions, I wouldn’t consider myself really good at anything. I’ve told you about my Rain Man brain. It’s good at collecting worthless trivial facts and storing them for easy recall. Part of the musical recall includes not only remembering the song title, artist, and year, but also the ability to identify a song in literally one note. Yeah, that’s right, like Name That Tune.

I think the only ‘contests’ I’ve ever won were music-related, and often as a result of identifying songs in those one notes. I’ve won $2,000 in cash, albums, CDs, tee-shirts. It happened again last week. I was randomly flipping stations and caught the words, “Name That Tune.” The deejay said he was going to play a note of a song and the 9th caller to identify the song and artist would win a pair of Florida Marlins baseball tickets (box seats). My ears perked. The tickets were worth around $100. I hadn’t done this in so long and was psyched. BLIP. The note came and went. The light bulb went on in the ol’ Rain Man brain. I knew the song, but it hadn’t registered completely. The wheels were grinding when the deejay said he’d play the clue again. BLIP. Man, it went by fast. Nearly impossible, believe me. But it just magically came together. CLICK. I knew the answer. I also knew the song and the note played was too obscure for anyone to really get it.

Now normally when you call for a contest, all you get is a busy signal because everyone and their brother is calling, right? I called and got in, 3rd caller. I called back, 5th caller. Not even a busy signal. My theory was correct. No one knew this friggin song. I called back, 7th caller. 3-5-7, would I get the 9th? Yes, I did. The deejay told me I was the 9th caller and asked me to carefully identify the song title and artist. I told him, “without any shadow of a doubt, the song was Shambala by Three Dog Night.” The dude spooked me a little because he asked if I was sure? I said yes and of course, he told me I had won. He told me I stumped him by getting it so quickly and easily. And then he stumped me. The call was being taped for broadcast. I thanked him and then he threw out the question that stumped me. “Hey Todd, tell me what radio station rocks Miami?” As soon as he said ‘what radio,’ the panic of a blood rush hit me because I had no friggin idea what station I was listening too. You know how these radio stations all have that cool name like ‘Rock 105’ or ‘Buzz 97.’ I had no idea, for a split second there I almost hung up on him for fear I had no answer. As the deejay finished his question, somehow my brain focused on the radio dial and I was able to blurt out “102.7 FM.” I laughed to myself for the lame answer, but at least I saved myself from total embarrassment. He immediately played the radio station jingle. “Magic 102.7”

These days, life’s confidence isn’t too high. I’m glad to know I still have the knack. Anyone up for a ballgame?

9 Comments:

  • i'm likely going to be down there (Boca) June 2-June6th. although something tells me you'd rather take a member of the opposite sex.

    By Blogger (S)wine, at 7:18 AM, May 06, 2005  

  • awesome job dude. you still got it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:08 AM, May 06, 2005  

  • HEY! Congrads!! Who are the Marlins gonna be playing when you go down there? Hope that you have a blast...cheer hard and think of me! :)
    Miss Ryder

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:14 PM, May 06, 2005  

  • Congratulations!

    And yeah, who are the Marlins going to be playing?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:39 PM, May 06, 2005  

  • I'll go...pick me, pick me!

    By Blogger Denise, at 1:47 PM, May 06, 2005  

  • Ooooh! Way to be, PT!

    I hope they're good seats.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:11 PM, May 06, 2005  

  • Ooooh! Way to be, PT!

    I hope they're good seats.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:11 PM, May 06, 2005  

  • OMG, that's one of my worst fears! I always think about that...that I would call and win and I had no clue what station I was listening to or what their little slogan was and screw it all up.

    Way to go! I say take Robotnik and do some male bonding.

    :-)

    By Blogger Queen Helene, at 3:36 PM, May 07, 2005  

  • Ooooo, me! Me! Pick me!

    Do I get a second chance this time?! 'Cause y'know I'm such the text-messaging retard ;)

    By Blogger Caterina, at 3:52 PM, May 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home