.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

February 15, 2005

RAIN MAN


"I'm an excellent driver..." Posted by Hello

It’s my second favorite movie of all-time behind The Graduate. I don’t know why I relate so closely to Rain Man. I think it’s because of his memory. People have often called me Rain Man. True, I do a pretty good Rain Man impression, but it’s really because of my memory. I tend to remember worthless trivia and minutiae like my phone number in Houston Texas some 37 years ago. {Rain Man accent…713.497.5148} Please don’t drunk dial this number or anything.

Anyway, I had a Rain Man moment at lunch today. I was talking with a guy I work with and the subject of age came up. I got around to asking him his birthday. He told me it was 10/13/58. I smiled. I asked him, “How much do you want to bet that I can tell you what song was number one when you were born?” He looked at me like I was out of my mind. I then gave him a little Rain Man, “’Course, the square root of 2,130 is four six *point * one-five-one-nine-two-three-oh-four….two-three-oh-four…UH_OH, 10 minutes to Wapner.”

He laughed and bet me five bucks. I told him the song, I believed, was “It’s All in the Game” by Tommy Edwards. I told him even if I missed it, I’d be pretty damn close. We got back from lunch and I looked it up. Bingo! Mystifying, isn’t it? Another guy I work with overheard the conversation and asked me what was his song on 5/28/65. Hmm, I thought it over. Three songs came to mind. Help Me Rhonda (Beach Boys), Back in My Arms Again (Supremes), and Help (Beatles). I went with Help. Missed it. Help was number one in September of 1965. Amazingly, Help Me Rhonda was #1 on 5/29/65 followed by Back In My Arms Again. Ticket To Ride (Beatles) was actually #1 on 5/28/65. All-in-all, still a fairly good effort. I have no clue as to why I remember stuff like this. It does seem to come in handy when I’m short on cash, however…

8 Comments:

  • This warrants a possible, future entry: Top 5 favorite movies.

    I've the opposite syndrome. I cannot even remember my phone number NOW. No lie. I cannot tell you my cell #. Also, sometimes I walk out of the house without shoes. I lack the ability to remember these kinds of things. That is, perhaps, why I like the movie Memento so much.

    By Blogger Bubbles, Ink., at 9:03 AM, February 15, 2005  

  • I'm with Lx on the memory thing.
    And yes, let's do the top 5 or 10 movies.

    By Blogger Emily, at 10:00 AM, February 15, 2005  

  • You, my friend, are obsessed with music. Not that you didn't know that. But you should probably visit this guy I know:
    http://lifeisasoundtrack.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger Esther Kustanowitz, at 1:09 PM, February 15, 2005  

  • Hello again. I'm afraid that I may have pissed you off. I don't really intend my blog for public reading although I don't have anything to hide and certainly don't mind others reading it. My friends and family stay in touch and updated by reading what's going on at work and socially in my life. I have family out of town and they find it useful. I'm a hospital shift worker and I don't have a lot of free time on my hands since I work full time afternoon shift right now. I haven't posted anything in a while because I haven't had the time or energy. I didn't think that I needed to have a grand scheme in place to have a blog. I like cruising other blogs for inspiration and/or amusement. Thanks again for a good read. Misty

    By Blogger Misty, at 6:11 PM, February 15, 2005  

  • ROUNDUP:

    LX, what I neglected to mention was that I'm the kind of guy who can recite something from 37 years ago, but I can't remember to bring my wallet each morning.

    E, will check him out. And you suck, by the way.

    Misty, Nah, you didn't piss me off in the least. I was just trying to understand why you were writing. Honest. Well, now I know. Tks for reading!

    You guys want a movie thing, huh? Hmmm, maybe we'll do a top 3...

    By Blogger Plantation, at 8:09 PM, February 15, 2005  

  • Hey, I have never seen Rainman, so I can't really comment on this blog to much.... But what was the top song for April 9, '85?!?
    Have a good rest of the week. Tell Josh hello for me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:28 PM, February 16, 2005  

  • My first guess was "We Are the World." In case you didn't know, it was a collaboration similar to the 'Across the Universe' effort on the Grammy's. Anyway, I thought for sure that was it. Missed it by 4 days. WATW was #1 on 4/13/85. Your song is "One More Night" by Phil Collins. Yeah, definitely Phil Collins. 'Course, 2 minutes to Wapner...

    By Blogger Plantation, at 11:46 PM, February 16, 2005  

  • hey Mr Noser,
    so do you think that that particular song suits me? ONE MORE NIGHT by Phil? and i do have to say I am impressed...only off 4 days is pretty good.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:38 AM, February 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home