.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

February 15, 2005

RAIN MAN


"I'm an excellent driver..." Posted by Hello

It’s my second favorite movie of all-time behind The Graduate. I don’t know why I relate so closely to Rain Man. I think it’s because of his memory. People have often called me Rain Man. True, I do a pretty good Rain Man impression, but it’s really because of my memory. I tend to remember worthless trivia and minutiae like my phone number in Houston Texas some 37 years ago. {Rain Man accent…713.497.5148} Please don’t drunk dial this number or anything.

Anyway, I had a Rain Man moment at lunch today. I was talking with a guy I work with and the subject of age came up. I got around to asking him his birthday. He told me it was 10/13/58. I smiled. I asked him, “How much do you want to bet that I can tell you what song was number one when you were born?” He looked at me like I was out of my mind. I then gave him a little Rain Man, “’Course, the square root of 2,130 is four six *point * one-five-one-nine-two-three-oh-four….two-three-oh-four…UH_OH, 10 minutes to Wapner.”

He laughed and bet me five bucks. I told him the song, I believed, was “It’s All in the Game” by Tommy Edwards. I told him even if I missed it, I’d be pretty damn close. We got back from lunch and I looked it up. Bingo! Mystifying, isn’t it? Another guy I work with overheard the conversation and asked me what was his song on 5/28/65. Hmm, I thought it over. Three songs came to mind. Help Me Rhonda (Beach Boys), Back in My Arms Again (Supremes), and Help (Beatles). I went with Help. Missed it. Help was number one in September of 1965. Amazingly, Help Me Rhonda was #1 on 5/29/65 followed by Back In My Arms Again. Ticket To Ride (Beatles) was actually #1 on 5/28/65. All-in-all, still a fairly good effort. I have no clue as to why I remember stuff like this. It does seem to come in handy when I’m short on cash, however…

7 Comments:

  • This warrants a possible, future entry: Top 5 favorite movies.

    I've the opposite syndrome. I cannot even remember my phone number NOW. No lie. I cannot tell you my cell #. Also, sometimes I walk out of the house without shoes. I lack the ability to remember these kinds of things. That is, perhaps, why I like the movie Memento so much.

    By Blogger (S)wine, at 9:03 AM, February 15, 2005  

  • I'm with Lx on the memory thing.
    And yes, let's do the top 5 or 10 movies.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:00 AM, February 15, 2005  

  • You, my friend, are obsessed with music. Not that you didn't know that. But you should probably visit this guy I know:
    http://lifeisasoundtrack.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger Esther Kustanowitz, at 1:09 PM, February 15, 2005  

  • ROUNDUP:

    LX, what I neglected to mention was that I'm the kind of guy who can recite something from 37 years ago, but I can't remember to bring my wallet each morning.

    E, will check him out. And you suck, by the way.

    Misty, Nah, you didn't piss me off in the least. I was just trying to understand why you were writing. Honest. Well, now I know. Tks for reading!

    You guys want a movie thing, huh? Hmmm, maybe we'll do a top 3...

    By Blogger Plantation, at 8:09 PM, February 15, 2005  

  • Hey, I have never seen Rainman, so I can't really comment on this blog to much.... But what was the top song for April 9, '85?!?
    Have a good rest of the week. Tell Josh hello for me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:28 PM, February 16, 2005  

  • My first guess was "We Are the World." In case you didn't know, it was a collaboration similar to the 'Across the Universe' effort on the Grammy's. Anyway, I thought for sure that was it. Missed it by 4 days. WATW was #1 on 4/13/85. Your song is "One More Night" by Phil Collins. Yeah, definitely Phil Collins. 'Course, 2 minutes to Wapner...

    By Blogger Plantation, at 11:46 PM, February 16, 2005  

  • hey Mr Noser,
    so do you think that that particular song suits me? ONE MORE NIGHT by Phil? and i do have to say I am impressed...only off 4 days is pretty good.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:38 AM, February 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home