.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

May 11, 2005

"IT'S ALL BULLSHIT"

That was the quote from the MD after I had him sit in on a 6-hour meeting so he’d get a flavor of what I’m going through. Other highlights of my wonderful day yesterday? Check out these emails:

Sent: Mon 5/9/2005 7:34 PM
To: Todd
From: Client
Subject: RE: Month End Closing Test Plan

Sorry Todd, but this one seems to barely reflect the changes I had suggested...there are missing objectives, controls which I deleted are still there, most changes adding to an explanation have not been made, etc etc. Remember that we discussed that the fact that Great Plains does not allow posting of unbalanced entries is an automatic control? Well, the paper I recoevered from PwC still shows it as a Manual control.

Also, the description of Key Control C8 seems to be wrong, or at best, incomplete. Not all entries are approved by the Controller, some are approved by the Sr. Acct.

In the chart I only reviewed the Objectiuve and Description column...those items which in my opinion still need work are in colors other than black, and you will notice that these are almost all of them. I would really recommend that they be addressed carefully and if you guys feel the changes do not have to be made, that you guys be ready and able to convince (not just explain) PwC that you are right.

One last note, which I am sure you have already thought about and please relay this to the members of your team...should PwC had reviewed this matrix, we would have lost a lot of credibility on the only processes they have signed off so far.

Sent: Mon 5/9/2005 7:44 PM
To: Todd
From: Client
Subject: RE: Month End Closing Test Plan

The last sentence I just wrote in the previous e-mail: “One last note, which I am sure you have already thought about and please relay this to the members of your team...should PwC had reviewed this matrix, we would have lost a lot of credibility on the only processes they have signed off so far” was not directed at you. I realize the stress this situation is having on all, and while you are our key contact with your company right now, I am a firm believer in letting the chips fall where they belong. Again, I don’t think the poor quality of that matrix reflects on you (maybe only to the extent that it slipped through without being reviewed), but rather that it reflects the general carelessness that I have been complaining about for a while now.

Unlike other narratives and matrixes which I have reviewed, the second round of this one shows not an honest difference of opinion (e.g like my being too picky), but a complete disregard for changes we suggested. Again, I do not believe it is a reflection of you or your professionalism, but I do believe it reflects very poorly on others in your company and, what is worse, casts doubt over the quality of everything else you guys have done, whether good or bad.

Again, and I hate to emphasize it so much, this is not directed at you or your work, but it is definitely directed at the rest of the staff (though I am aware others are unfairly falling in this bucket just by association).


Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 9:47 AM
Subject: RE: Month End Closing Test Plan
To: Client
From: My Staff Member

Let me know when you want to meet.
Thanks!

Sent: Tue 5/10/2005 10:07 AM
To: Staff member, Todd
Subject: RE: Month End Closing Test Plan

I don’t think we should meet until either all the changes are made or there are good reasons for the changes not to be made….we already had a meeting to discuss this, in { SVPs} office…either we do the changes or document in a way that PwC is convinced that the changes are not needed. I am happy with either, but discussing it without documenting why a change is not being made is not going to help the PwC review.

Now I ask you, after 15 hours of this, is there any doubt why I’m totally losing my mind? Oh, those Marlins tickets I won last week? I was too busy messing with this shit and missed the game. Sarah concert review coming, I promise.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home