.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

June 20, 2008

CANCER STRIKES AGAIN

I wasn’t there to hear the news this time, but it doesn’t make it any easier to hear it. My mom has cancer. Breast cancer to be specific. She told me bluntly on Thursday. She’d known for two days and needed those days to compose herself. She’s typically emotional but you never would have guessed if you heard our phone call. She sounded remarkably composed and ready to fight. I’m proud of her for that. It’s news you never want to hear and news you’re never quite prepared for. I was with my dad when he got the news. Lung cancer. Six months to live. And indeed it was exactly six months. Those of you who still have both parents around, take note. You’re lucky. When they go, part of you goes with them. And your life will truly be forever different. I hope to have my mom around for many years to come. Her surgery is next week and we should have a better idea of her prognosis. We are all upbeat and positive. I’m glad she knows she has my support. We’ve had our differences, but we’re really close now. Man, that’s what it’s all about.

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • Oh man, Todd, I am so sorry. I've been afraid of losing my parents for years, so I can't even imagine what you're feeling right now.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:19 PM, June 21, 2008  

  • My thoughts and prayers are with you. I know words can't adequately comfort anyone, but know that you are not alone throughout this difficult time. I wish your mom lots of luck during (and after) her procedure.

    By Blogger JuRiScHiCk, at 7:53 PM, June 22, 2008  

  • I will be thinking about you and your mom.

    ~K

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:24 PM, June 22, 2008  

  • I'm so sorry to hear that, Todd. Sending lots of love and prayers to you and you mom. XOXOX

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:57 AM, June 23, 2008  

  • Hadn't seen this before....and wishing positive thoughts and good vibes for you and your mom. I can't even imagine how difficult it must be for her and you. Hang in there!

    By Blogger Caterina, at 5:06 PM, June 25, 2008  

  • So sorry to read about your mom. She will be in my thoughts. Be strong and know love is being sent from all over. Wishing your mom a pain-free surgery, a quick recovery and remission for many years.
    Love, Michelle Lucas

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:17 AM, June 29, 2008  

  • So sorry to read this, wishing you both lots of strenght.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:16 AM, July 10, 2008  

  • hey mate, i want to share with you a story. your blog is awesome. keep it up. My email address is wah17@yahoo.com

    Hear form you soon.
    Cheers,
    ALex

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:03 AM, July 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home