.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

November 15, 2006

ANALYZE THIS

Here’s an airport riddle-of-the-Sphinx for you. Something is shrinking yet something’s growing at the same time. I know, not much to go on. OK, here’s the answer.

Rent-A-Cars are getting smaller and smaller, but the price tag is getting bigger and bigger.



I reserved an intermediate-sized car for only $207.95 for a week. Good deal, huh? Or was it? When I got to the car lot, my “intermediate” ride was waiting for me. I thought there was a mix-up. Surely my car wasn’t the little Hyundai Accent I was staring at. I had reserved an intermediate not a compact. Aaah, but in this day and age, the intermediate has shrunk to a compact, and the old compact has become the “economy.”

I guess I never got that shrinking rent-a-car memo. The car itself was fine. I had no issues with it. I even told the attendant the little car performed nicely. He thanked me and after checking the mileage, he handed me the bill. Sticker shock! My $208 deal just grew $100. How in the world did that happen, you ask? Taxes of some sort. Hmmm, let’s see. We started at $207.95 and then there was something called AP/Access for $23.10, CF CTX $31.50, Std $7.51, VLS $11.55, and finally Tax of $23.34 for a grand total of $304.95. Goodness knows what all those add-ons really are. All I know is that I paid 50% more for a smaller car. Now that’s what I call a great deal. For the rent-a-car company, that is.

6 Comments:

  • Wow, what company did you use? My boss and I used Hertz when we went to Orlando last month and we got a super nice Chevy Impala for chump change.

    BTW...we must catch up re: Roy's. We did it up right!!! :)

    By Blogger JuRiScHiCk, at 11:48 PM, November 15, 2006  

  • I have to say that rental cars is one of the few purchases where I've saved money using a travel agent / intermediary. I've compared itineraries on the rental company web sites and on 3rd party travel web sites, and the travel sites always have better pricing.

    Since I drive a subcompact in everyday life, my rental cars are almost always bigger than my regular car.

    By Blogger Bart, at 9:34 AM, November 16, 2006  

  • dont feel robbed.

    next week I will be paying $264 for an economy car for three days.

    go figure it out.

    must be the economy is blossoming for lots of people except me.

    regards

    By Blogger Alfredito Rivera, at 10:13 AM, November 16, 2006  

  • I have a relative that works in the rental car industry, so I've been pretty lucky. However, there are times when even she cannot get rates as low as on the internet.

    Cars in general are one big PITA ;)

    By Blogger Caterina, at 12:12 PM, November 17, 2006  

  • Where, oh, where have the dating/Todd's life stories gone??

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:22 PM, November 17, 2006  

  • Tara, did you see my 'splendid isolation' post? Sorry to disappoint.

    By Blogger Plantation, at 8:27 PM, November 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home