.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

October 12, 2006

WHEN PUSH COMES TO SHOVE

I haven’t written about my new job since I was hired over a year ago. I guess that’s a good thing. It means things have gone relatively well; and they have. There have been many plusses. I don’t work an exorbitant number of hours anymore, the pay is good, the stress level is fairly calm, I have the freedom to do pretty much what I want, I can walk to work, I have a nice view from my office, and I have a good boss for a change. Pretty good, huh?

But there’s a problem. I was hired to be an independent reviewer of the company’s financial control environment to ensure we would not become another Enron. The problem is that word ‘independent.’ There are times where I feel I’m not as independent as I need to be or should be. Decisions are sometimes being made without my input which, I feel, is a necessary part of my review. Certain management feels differently, and there have been a few disagreements and/or arguments lately. Thus, I question whether I’m truly independent and I’m beginning to ask myself more and more, “why am I even here?”

Oh sure, I can just let bygones be bygones and just cruise along here and enjoy the aforementioned perks. But you see, what sticks in my craw is that I’m not liking the viewpoint of others. It’s the viewpoint, in my opinion, that transcends the company. Yeah, this job is ‘pretty’ and ‘sexy’ and has all these perks, but I need more than that. I have to believe in the heart and soul of the company. And if I can’t believe in the core values of the company, then perhaps it’s time to look elsewhere. It’s somewhat eerie that I came across this very same argument with myself not over a job but over a woman. I decided sex and money were nice but not as important to me as character. Now I'm faced with a similar decision at work. I guess for me, it all rides on character. Ironic, huh?

6 Comments:

  • Has it really been a year? Wow. Time flies.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:23 PM, October 13, 2006  

  • i have been waiting a year to hear you say that. i knew it was going to happen sooner or later.

    hang in there, every place we go to has its annoying things, there is no perfect place to work until the day you start doing what you truly love.

    that day the universe will conspire to have everything come your way.

    cool runnings

    fred

    By Blogger Alfredito Rivera, at 6:02 PM, October 13, 2006  

  • Would it be wrong to leave a nasty and cold comment? I hope not.

    In reference to "I have to believe in the heart and soul of the company." Are you serious? I don't believe in that.....what I mean is, I don't believe companies have hearts & souls. They have bottom lines and deadlines. It's all about the numbers and profits. If I am misunderstanding you, then I apologize.

    If you want a feel good career with a "do good" company, then go non-profit.

    By Blogger Caterina, at 5:27 PM, October 16, 2006  

  • Cat, the heart and soul of a company are it's leaders. Companies DON'T have heart and sould but for me, their leaders must. It's this I'm beginning to doubt.

    By Blogger Plantation, at 9:04 PM, October 16, 2006  

  • I hear ya. It would be interesting to see how this develops. I hope for the better.

    By Blogger Caterina, at 2:44 PM, October 17, 2006  

  • does anyone at work know you blog?

    is there anyone at the company whom you feel that you can talk to about these concerns?

    By Blogger Lyss, at 2:04 PM, October 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home