.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

September 15, 2006

CRUEL



I remember listening on the radio to The Who’s “final concert” over 20 years ago. They’re one of my favorite bands of all-time. I remember thinking, Wow, they’ll never play together again. But that was then. Nowadays, there is no such thing as final or farewell. The oldies just keep on playing, don’t they? So I heard on the radio that The Who is actually coming here on November 20th. I have a friend who can get me club tickets so I was real excited to get the opportunity to see one of the greats.

Concerts seem to come in bunches. There is nothing for months and then all of a sudden EVERYONE’s coming to town. Well, much to my delight, another of my favorites, Death Cab For Cutie also announced they’re coming here. I got cheated last year due to Hurricane Wilma. I had tickets and was so disappointed they canceled. I have been waiting for them to come back here. So I go to ticketmaster to buy tickets and I looked in disbelief at the date of the concert. November 20th. Is that unbelievable or what? Two concerts on the same night? What kind of crap is that? Now I’m torn. Do I see the legends in an upscale setting with a free food buffet or do I mix in with the college kids and see a really great alternative band?

I think if I base my choice solely on music, I’ll go see Death Cab. I’m pretty burned out on Classic Rock and I’d go to The Who just to say I saw them. I actually saw them on Letterman last night and Roger sounded pretty good but “old.” Still, it’s amazing the guy can sing at 60+. But I really like Death Cab’s sound. Damn, I hate having to choose one over the other but I have to. I know The Who won’t be around again so it’ll likely be my only opportunity. Grrrrr. Decisions, decisions. What do you think???

10 Comments:

  • Well, for me, it would be a no-brainer. Death Cab isn't going anywhere, but The Who might keel over tomorrow (heaven forbid, but they are old).

    By Blogger Caterina, at 11:38 AM, September 15, 2006  

  • I recently had a similar situation. Wilco is coming to San Antonio October 13th and the Old 97s will be in Austin the same night. Hmmm. It made me scream literally, but I knew we were going to see Wilco. That is the hubby's favorite band and we have never been able to see them perform. I've seen the Old 97s several times. The next two months are crazy for me concert wise. Last night was Thievery Corporation and Federico Abuele. Sorry to carry on about my calendar but music and concerts excite me!

    As for your personal dilemma, I'm with cat. Go see The Who. The opportunity may not present itself again.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:20 PM, September 15, 2006  

  • The Who. Why? Keywords. The Who = upscale + legends + free food. Death Cab (a dumber band name hasn't come down the pike since Clap Your Hands, Make Me Puke)= college kids.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:48 PM, September 15, 2006  

  • Go to the concert that would make your heart happiest to see. Take a peek inside Mr. Moser and figure out what'd bring a smile to your face, and do that. Life is too short to not do what's in your heart. If this sounds like it's more than just about music, you're probably right. :)

    By Blogger JuRiScHiCk, at 10:48 PM, September 15, 2006  

  • I'd go with The Who and take a little roadtrip to see Death Cab on their next tour stop. ...if it's reasonably close.

    I heart concert roadtrips.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:38 AM, September 16, 2006  

  • Looks like The Who is the popular choice. It's certainly the logical one.

    By Blogger Plantation, at 12:16 PM, September 16, 2006  

  • My very first concert, ever, was The Who. I was 13. and I went with my girlfrend Jennifer whose 18-year-old brother and friends took us. We stood right by the speakers. All I remember is that my ears rang for days.

    I like Jurischick's advice. Life is short. Follow your heart.

    By Blogger Elizabeth Krecker, at 12:24 AM, September 17, 2006  

  • I'm liking what A said, roadtrip to see Death Cab. Good, and FUN!, idea.

    Are you gonna tell us what you decide?

    By Blogger Caterina, at 2:40 PM, September 18, 2006  

  • I know. I'm so excited - they are coming with Ok Go to H-town

    By Blogger Sass, at 8:35 PM, September 18, 2006  

  • Hope you get to see The Who, Todd. They were in Chicago this month and since I know their videographer (Justin Kreuzmann, who also happens to be the son of Grateful Dead drummer Bill), I was offered an all access pass to see Pete Townshend perform with his girlfriend Rachel Fuller at Chicago's House of Blues (a gig Rachel did between Who shows in the Midwest.) I didn't see The Who's concert but seeing Pete live in a small intimate setting playing on his four guitars really was a childhood dream come true for me. He hasn't lost a thing in his 60's and is still in rare form!

    By Blogger WendyCity Productions, at 11:19 PM, October 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home