.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

August 16, 2006

PUZZLED


universal syndicate sudoku

I’ve been doing daily crossword puzzles since high school. There’s something about them that stimulates my warped mind like nothing else. Finishing a puzzle garners this certain sense of satisfaction like I’ve accomplished something major. Silly I know but puzzlers like me understand what I’m talking about. The mother of all crosswords, the Sunday NY Times puzzle, is nearly impossible but oh so fun to attempt. I couldn’t imagine something so perfectly suited for me. Until now.

Unfortunately for me, the guy who works for me threw a Sudoku puzzle on my desk about two weeks ago. I’ve seen them in newspapers and have ignored them maybe for fear I’d get hooked on them. It’s a puzzle, it’s a game, and it’s got numbers in it. My friend urged me to try it even though I’ve told him time and again that I’m a crossword man. Nevertheless, I relented. It took me forever to solve that beginner puzzle, but I solved it. It was fun and, goodness, mentally perfect for me.

Two weeks later, I’m really hooked. It’s become the highlight of my day. I’ve now graduated to the more difficult puzzles which totally drive me crazy, like a good crossword puzzle. Honestly, solving a good Sudoku is more exciting than any problem solved at work. What does that say for me and the interest I have for my profession? Puzzling, indeed.

13 Comments:

  • I am not fond of numbers so I don't look twice at these...but they are all t he rage here in the UK!

    By Blogger slow poke kate, at 8:40 AM, August 16, 2006  

  • I am really hooked with the stuff.

    Keep on sudoking...

    Fredo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:24 AM, August 16, 2006  

  • I was hooked for awhile, too, but then the interest faded. I liked the challenge and I liked how accomplished I felt when I solved it right! Keep at it, doing puzzles is a great way to keep your mind sharp (they say doing crosswords helps to ward off early Alzheimers!)

    By Blogger Amy, at 9:48 AM, August 16, 2006  

  • If it makes you feel any better, you're in good company. I too am an addict, but I get my drip online.

    By Blogger Stephanie Klein, at 12:24 PM, August 17, 2006  

  • I'm a crossword puzzle freak too - one of my friends and I try to complete the Sunday puzzle together most weekends.

    Oh, and you do know that Saturday (not Sunday) is actually the most difficult Times puzzle, right?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:00 PM, August 17, 2006  

  • You're not alone! I attempted my first Sudoku about 8 months ago. I been hooked since.

    By Blogger Nica, at 11:08 PM, August 17, 2006  

  • love sudoku, though sometimes i just feel stupid when i get stuck...

    By Blogger Amanda, at 1:10 PM, August 18, 2006  

  • Hell. Yes. Love 'em.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:19 PM, August 18, 2006  

  • I have been hooked on Suduko for about a year now and my mom just bought me a book for 365 days of Suduko. Enjoy!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:07 PM, August 18, 2006  

  • Yes indeed, seems I'm not alone here. And no, Melissa. I always thought Sunday was the king of Times puzzles!

    By Blogger Plantation, at 4:47 AM, August 19, 2006  

  • Oh dear, I've been studiously avoiding getting hooked on crossword puzzles for fear I'd start and never stop, but you all make it sound like so much fun...gotta go run now and buy the Saturday NYT!

    I'd try Sudoko, but a good friend of mine does them in ink. That was enough to scare me away!

    By Blogger Elizabeth Krecker, at 10:08 AM, August 19, 2006  

  • Go see Wordplay if you can - it's a quirky fun documentary.

    It will make you appreciate crossword puzzles even more.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:30 PM, August 30, 2006  

  • I've done them for over a year now. They can be addicting when your brain wants to be busy doing nothing important.

    The problem is, I don't remember them. I could do the same ones over every couple of days, or hours, and I'd never know it. They have no real identity to them.

    We are in good company with my daughther's 3rd grade class.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:08 PM, September 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home