.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

August 13, 2006

MIAMI VICED


photo courtesty of universal pictures

I didn’t think the new Miami Vice movie was particular good. The movie itself was a typical action movie filled with ugly looking bad guys, fast cars, drugs, pretty women, shoot-em-up scenes, etc. etc. I’d likely have judged it even less appealing if I wasn’t from Miami. But there’s something about a movie filmed in your locale that makes you want to see it. You want to see and recognize familiar scenes even though it’s practically a daily occurrence. Which brings me (at last) to my point.

There was one particular scene I was waiting for and one that represented the real drama for me. Ya see, I was walking home from work one day when I saw the film crew in action. They were filming a scene for the movie. Jamie Foxx was wearing a black t-shirt (see picture). Without realizing it, I walked right behind the rolling camera. Could it be that I’d really end up in a Hollywood movie?

The beginning of the movie offered hope. There were scenes near where I work and live in Coconut Grove. Close but no cigar. So I waited some more. Alas, my movie moment never came. I ended up on the cutting room floor. I guess my 15 minutes of fame will have to wait.

2 Comments:

  • Sorry to hear you weren't on the big screen. One of the guys I work with is in a scene in The Devil Wears Prada and didn't know it until someone at work saw it and told him. They apparently filmed in our lobby one night and he walked right on through. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:50 PM, August 13, 2006  

  • That's interesting M. Am sure the odds are a lot better in NYC than here in terms of being an 'extra.' Lady, I have no desire either to see Code. And, can I relink you or are you laying low?

    By Blogger Plantation, at 11:56 PM, August 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home