.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

August 03, 2006

MAD MAX


photo courtesy of tmz.com

Yeah I know. Innocent until proven guilty. Well something tells me that Mel Gibson's higher-than-mighty status as a Hollywood superstar guarantees his innocence. It shouldn’t be that way, but sports ‘heroes’ and movie stars continue to get free passes and looks the other way from our legal system. Do you REALLY think Gibson’s gonna serve any significant jail time? Of course not; at worst, he’ll be slapped with some community service. I’m pretty sure if that were me in his shoes, I’d be looking at some serious jail time.

Now it’s all allegations and hearsay at this point in terms of what specifically Gibson said during his drunken tirade on the Pacific Coast Highway, but TMV.com reported that Gibson uttered a string of obscenities and racial slurs that included, …"You mother f****r. I'm going to f*** you…f*****g Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world,…are you a Jew…what do you think you're looking at, sugar tits?" To add insult to injury, Gibson allegedly said how we was going to f*** a female Deputy.

Now I’m biased because I’m a Jew, but I believe he said all of it. He grew up with a father who didn’t think the holocaust occurred. Hutton Gibson was quoted as saying, "It's all -- maybe not all fiction -- but most of it is," he said, adding that the gas chambers and crematoria at camps like Auschwitz would not have been capable of exterminating so many people. He added, “"Do you know what it takes to get rid of a dead body? To cremate it? It takes a litre of petrol and 20 minutes. Now, six million of them? They (the Germans) did not have the gas to do it. That's why they lost the war."

One can’t help but think that Gibson’s view of the Jews was molded as a young boy. I personally think he said deep down what he truly believed as he spewed his drunken anti-Semitic remarks to the LAPD. I never saw Passion of the Christ and I don’t think I need to.

Alcoholic or not, his behavior was sad, disgusting, despicable, nauseating, reprehensible, unforgivable, etc. Sure he’s sorry and regretful, and embarrassed. Who wouldn’t be? He even issued a specific apology to the Jewish community. Hmm, if only he truly meant it and wasn’t simply covering his own ass. Well one thing’s for sure. You won’t catch me at any of Gibson’s movies. I’d rather have my teeth drilled.

8 Comments:

  • PS, he looks like Saddam Hussein in that picture.

    They may take his life, but they will never take his blood alcohol level.

    By Blogger olivia, at 10:23 PM, August 03, 2006  

  • Unfortunately, on DUIs/DWIs, the first time penalty just isn't that harsh in many states. (Celeb or non-celeb status - doesn't matter).

    I believe he said it all, though.

    I read the article where the officer involved forgave him. Sad to say, but most officers have seen/heard far worse. It's disgusting, but something to think about when one gets pulled over!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:18 AM, August 04, 2006  

  • The penalty isn't necessarily jail time to begin with, but I believe he'll get what the rest of us would get. And I commend him for standing up and admitting to what he said, taking ownership of it and not shying away from it or making excuses. He can't be tried for what he said, it's not a crime despite being wrong. I have nothing against the man. None of us are perfect but the best we can do is to admit responsiblity for ourselves and move on.

    By Blogger Amy, at 9:58 AM, August 04, 2006  

  • Unfortunately this world is filled with Mel Gibsons, most of them are just not as public.

    I'm wondering if the public apology was from his heart or from his PR office.

    By Blogger Caterina, at 12:22 PM, August 04, 2006  

  • i used to date a guy a long time ago who told me once that the truth comes out when you're drunk. i wrote it into a poem at the time, and i think about it when sh** like this happens. (or when drunk people tell me funny stories, which i'm glad happens more often than mel gibson saying ridiculous and horrible things on the side of the road.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:46 PM, August 04, 2006  

  • We definitely disagree on this one, Amy. If I had gone into an f-bomb raged tirade, I'd have been hogtied and beaten. I think Cat had it right regarding the publicist. No apology = millions of dollars lost. I heard is new film might get pulled. I hope so.

    By Blogger Plantation, at 9:01 PM, August 04, 2006  

  • Todd...

    you are TOTALLY RIGHT. Gibson is a racist jerk who has been allowed to promulgate his nonsense and dangerous beliefs for too long. This business about wanting to have the Jewish community help him is nothing other than BS...now we know for certain, in case there was any question, that his Passion of Christ movie was informed by rabid antisemitism.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:40 PM, August 04, 2006  

  • Unfortunately being a bigot isn't a crime that's punishable with jail time. Hopefully the court of public opinion will punish him enough.

    By Blogger Cheetarah1980, at 10:31 AM, August 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home