.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

May 21, 2006

UNITED 93


For the entire 90+ minutes, no one in the theater moved, no one made a sound; it was total silence. I’d be hard pressed to recall any movie that gripped an audience like that. It’s remarkable when you consider that each one of us already knew the outcome. Yeah, I knew the outcome yet I was nervous and tense throughout.

I must admit that you have to be in that certain kind of mood to see United 93. Recent events got me plenty in the mood. I was ready to relive the events of 9/11. Five years ago, I was just leaving for my court appearance when American Airlines flight 11 slammed into the North Tower. By the time I got back, I had no idea what had transpired. This movie, in real time, put me right into the thick of it.

I’d read somewhere that the families of United 93’s passengers and crew condoned the movie. After watching it, I can see why. There were no fancy special effects and no Hollywood superstars. Under Paul Greengrass’ direction, the movie put you directly into United’s cabin, cockpit, into the control towers in Boston, New York, Cleveland, and Herndon, Virginia. What took place that day was total chaos, really. How easily the terrorists passed through security, how lost and confused the military seemed to be, how slow information was relayed, and how truly helpless everyone felt.

As I watched, my emotions weren’t any less than five years ago and every year since. I’ve seen the footage seemingly a million times. Yet again, the movie was truly like a nightmare relived up close and personal. I really recommend you go see it or rent it. It reminds us of why we have to go through the pains of travel. It reminds us of the vigilance we felt and should still feel. And it makes us wonder, how we might prevent something like this from happening again in some way or another. It seems inevitable to me. I hope, as a nation, we’re better prepared.

5 Comments:

  • I'll pass on the movie, but I agree that we need to always remember and to remain vigilant. They were able to attack because we weren't prepared. I don't think we are a whole lot closer even now. If nothing else we should remember that all the freedoms that we have in America don't come free.

    By Blogger Amy, at 11:30 AM, May 22, 2006  

  • I think I may pass on the movie too. Can't really explain why, maybe I'll catch it on DVD.

    By Blogger Caterina, at 1:23 AM, May 23, 2006  

  • I don't think I am quite ready for this movie... plus I still think our government had something to do with it all... and it makes me so angry.

    By Blogger slow poke kate, at 7:12 AM, May 23, 2006  

  • It's hard for me to explain but I just needed to see it. I was just in the perfect mood for it as I said. I'm really glad I saw it.

    By Blogger Plantation, at 7:40 AM, May 23, 2006  

  • I absolutely want to see it, and will be the first in line when it opens here. I just worry that the release of this movie will renew the fear that we have all be battling with since that terrible day, and that our government will, once again, attempt to manipulate that fear. In fact, I have quite a bit of emotion suddenly stirred up in me on this subject and I feel a blog post coming on...

    Thanks for the review, Plantation! =)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:06 AM, May 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home