.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

May 25, 2006

A DAY IN THE LIFE

I met a new woman yesterday morning. Or should I say, she met me. She sent me ‘flirt.’ For those of you non-online daters out there, a flirt or wink is a quick canned message you can send to someone you’re interested in. I don’t get many, and for the ones I DO get, it’s usually not a very good match for me. The problem with this particular flirt message was that I couldn’t read it.

I couldn’t read it because it was in Hebrew. Despite being of the faith, I can’t read a word of Hebrew. I have a handy-dandy mini Hebrew-English dictionary but that’s about it. She was online so I sent her an instant message saying hello and apologized for not speaking Hebrew. We had a nice broken English IM chat. She wanted to call me. I know, I know. You’re thinking Africa all over again. I reluctantly gave it to her and she called me.

We actually had a nice conversation. Her English is a lot better over the phone than in written form. She told me she was living in New York but had spent time in Miami recently and that she may be coming back. We agreed that if she did, we’d meet. See? That wasn’t so bad now, was it?

This morning, I saw her online. I got out my Hebrew dictionary and said ‘hello, how are you’ in Hebrew. I waited. And I waited. No response. Aaah, this is the life of internet dating. Obviously, she found someone who could actually speak Hebrew and was probably a better match for her and was most likely local. Now, I don’t mind all that. I mean, great for her if she found someone. But I just wish people wouldn’t just disappear like that and ignore you so easily, especially when you THINK you had established some kind of rapport. When will I ever learn, you ask? Good question. I’ll have to get back to you on that.

5 Comments:

  • You'll learn when you're good and ready and not a minute earlier! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:54 PM, May 25, 2006  

  • Online dating is sucha rollercoaster ride, when I began I really believed that I was somehow attracting all the "weirdos" that either wanted money or just sex. And when I thought I had met the "one" .. we met and he looked nothing like he had in his picture. I dont care what anyone says, appearance does matter, those that say it doesn't are liars! Just when I was about to give up, my friend put me up on webdate.com, this site that has live video chatrooms. It doesn't completely filter out the "weirdos" but it's alot more entertaining to flip through webcams instead of reading all those lame profiles that always say the same thing. I wish you the best of luck in your experiences and I hope you find what you are looking for.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:15 PM, May 25, 2006  

  • Thanks anon. Wait till you see the next post...

    By Blogger Plantation, at 10:29 PM, May 25, 2006  

  • I did online dating for like four months last summer - and I hate to admit that I might have been precisely the type of girl you're complaining about. Not used to the whole online dating thing, I think I got really nervous the second I would be in any extended conversation with a new "match." Best of luck!

    By Blogger Anna, at 11:25 PM, May 25, 2006  

  • I have a couple of comments...

    First to Anna - Never "hate to admit" your honesty. Honesty is a virtue attained by few. And fyi, I've had the same experience with the on-line thing. Conversations tend to flow freely when there is the safety of a keyboard separating two people. No shame in admitting to freezing up in person when you don't have the benefit of those few seconds of buffer time it takes to type a response.

    Generally speaking - I personally think those flirts are lame. If someone wants to correspond with me, they should take the time to write something personal. I see one of those and I don't care how good looking the guy is. Delete.

    And to you, Plantman - I think about you often, and hope that you are well. Thank you for adding me to your "Amazing Blogger Family". I guess that means I should actually start posting some of the stuff that swirls around in this pretty red head of mine.

    By Blogger Eatapeach, at 9:03 AM, May 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home