.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

March 28, 2006

TIME SENSITIVE


(see all photos via Flickr photobox in right margin)

Time flies when you’re having fun.
Time marches on.
Time waits for no one.
Time heals all wounds.
Time is of the essence.
A stitch in time saves nine.

OK. Can you tell I’ve been thinking a lot about the concept of time? Like most things I dwell on, it makes no sense to me. Yeah I know that 60 seconds = 1 minute, 60 minutes = 1 hour, 24 hours = 1 day etc. etc. Logically and factually, I know these measurements don’t change. Or do they?

They sure seem to. I mean, I just spent 13 days with my son Andy, and it seemed as if I just picked him up three days ago. Today, our last day together, we spent nine hours traveling from Florida to Arizona that seemed to take an hour at most. In contrast, a nine-hour day at work can seem like an eternity. It’s peculiar to me how vastly different these two scenarios can be when they’re actually the same, time wise. And it always seems to me that time is working against us. We want the work day to speed up and we want the vacation day to slow down yet they’re traveling at the same speed.

And so in the blink of an eye, my precious vacation with Andy has come and gone. So many wonderful thoughts and memories. I wonder which ones he’ll remember years and years from now? It’s weird, but I remember the oddest of moments when my dad came to visit me. My sister and I talk about this a lot. A simple sentence our dad told us, or the smell of his apartment or room, or the dessert from a now defunct restaurant. And I remember two weeks flying by and WHAM, it was over and tears were shed.

Some things never change. I still cry at goodbye. I don’t’ want to release Andy from my hug. I don’t want to give him back to his mother. I’m supposed to be the strong one, yet there we are, the two of us on the plane and dear old dad is crying and his son is consoling him saying, “It’s gonna be OK, daddy.” Moments like that I won’t soon forget.

I also won’t forget his fits of laughter, our father-son chats, his expression upon seeing a thong bathing suit at the beach, his ability to eat a piece of chocolate cake bigger than he is, his answering math problems that I didn’t learn until I was 15. Oh heck, I could go on and on. Perhaps the 9 ½-year-old genius summed it all up by answering my question, “Andy, how’s your vacation going?” “Daddy, this is the best vacation I’ve ever had.” Yes, time marches on. But no matter how many days, weeks, and years go by, I’ll always have THAT as a priceless memory.

6 Comments:

  • Aww, love the pictures, your son is adorable, looks like you two had a great time - your a great Dad!
    Thanks for sharing!

    Lori (honeydrizzled@Hotmail.com)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:22 AM, March 28, 2006  

  • And you'll have this visit -- and his departing comments -- forever on the blog.

    Truly a priceless memory.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:16 AM, March 29, 2006  

  • Great pics!!! What a bunch of handsome fellas. Glad you both had a great time!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:36 PM, March 29, 2006  

  • Cute pic.

    And I'm glad you could be there for his first thong sighting :-7
    That's what dad's are for (if you're a guy... I don't recall my dad and I having such a moment...)

    By Blogger Lyss, at 1:14 PM, March 31, 2006  

  • Time. No matter whether you get to see your son once a day, once a week or once a year, it's never enough time. All you can really do is appreciate every moment you have with him...just like you have!

    Good luck to both of you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:30 PM, March 31, 2006  

  • Found your blog through Stephanie Klein's. I just wanted to say that reading about your time with your son brings back memories of being with my dad in joint-custody. We took a trip out to Mystic, CT when I was 6 and I still remember the hotel, the IHOP, the Seaport. The time that he took--even if it was just every other weekend--still reminds me that he was a good dad who loved me very much. I think it's fantastic that you're doing the same for your son.

    By Blogger olivia, at 5:38 PM, April 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home