.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

February 28, 2006

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY



Note: Click Flickr Picture Box in the side margin for a peak at related photos.

I’m not quite sure why I’ve become so attached to this annual festival of arts. It’s not like I am an art freak or a cultural guru. Yet for some reason, the Coconut Grove Art Festival is one of my favorite events to attend of any genre.

I think it dates way back to my childhood. You’d probably think a ten-year-old boy would normally be bored being dragged by his mother to an art show for five hours, but yet I wasn’t. Maybe it was the excitement of seeing unusual and neat things? Maybe it was all the good food? Maybe it was seeing all the weird people walking the streets? Maybe part and parcel. But I think it’s my memory of actually having a good time with my mother. I’ve previously written that those good times were few and far between. So my recollection from all those years ago is one of those precious moments when we bonded and had a great time together. I’ve also written that we’ve since reconciled from all those unhappy times and things are great between us…

Now it has become an annual event for mom and I. She comes down from Vermont and spends a week with me. We have a blast together. We shop and cook gourmet every night. She helps interior decorate my new apartment which is normally a yearly occurrence. But I think the highlight of her trip for both of us is the art show. It’s not your typical art show of various paintings. Oh sure there are tons of watercolors, photography, oils, and the like. But perhaps more interestingly, there is such a wide variety of mass media sculptures and just bizarre-looking stuff. There is even an art show within the art show. It's called the St Stephens Art & Craft Show and is every bit as interesting as the big show and a bit more affordable.

It’s a minimum five-hour walk to see everything. It’s a happening. It’s fun to people watch and sample a plethora of different foods. You can meet and talk to practically every one of the 375 artists if you desire. Oh and did I mention it costs a mere $5 to get in? My son is nearing 10. I wonder if he’d be interested as I was back then. I wonder if he’d have fond memories of going to the art show with his father? I’m thinking yes, he would. For me, the show now represents tradition. A tradition of a fabulous time, the best time, hanging out with someone you truly love. Thanks mom for a great week. And one of these years, I’d sure like to share this tradition with a yet-to-be determined loved one.

10 Comments:

  • Those are the times you hold on to. The moments that are awesome just because of whom you're with. It's so great that you and your mom have this tradition and that you get to spend this priceless time together! Hang on to it! Savor it! Remember it!

    By Blogger Amy, at 10:06 AM, February 28, 2006  

  • Sounds like a wonderful tradition and I'm sure that you and your son will have something equally meaningful even if it's not the exact same thing.

    By Blogger Denise, at 10:33 AM, February 28, 2006  

  • I was wondering where you were?! You hadn't posted anything for several days. I immediately thought "he must be recooperating from the CGAF." Ha! I was (kinda) right.

    Real nice post and sweet memories.

    By Blogger Caterina, at 6:58 PM, February 28, 2006  

  • That sounds like a very nice bonding moment with your Mom. Loce the photos.

    By Blogger Sass, at 11:39 PM, February 28, 2006  

  • I love art festivals like this for the same reason. My mom used to take me to the McIntosh and Micanopy art festivals when I was younger, what great memories. So what were the different foods you sampled? Did you buy anything? I'm so glad you & your mom had a good time!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:04 AM, March 01, 2006  

  • Yeah, you guessed right cat. GFF, had a seafood wrap stuffed full of various seafood..was awesome. Had some teriyaki chicken on a stick, german streudal, baklavah, and of course, fresh kettle corn. Bought some prints for the apartment and a few gifts. Lotsa fun =)

    PS What do you think of the new apartment?

    By Blogger Plantation, at 2:42 AM, March 02, 2006  

  • I think the idiom is "part and parcel" ?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:25 PM, March 09, 2006  

  • Thanks anon. You're right. Wanna be my editor?

    By Blogger Plantation, at 12:26 AM, March 10, 2006  

  • nah....sorry - it's an annoying habit of mine (one of many, I'm afraid). With the anonymity of the blog, I just can't help myself.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:29 PM, March 10, 2006  

  • OK Anon. Well if you change your mind, you know where to find me...

    By Blogger Plantation, at 12:58 AM, March 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home