.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

January 01, 2006

OFF AND RUNNING

My friend New Year's Eve visited me last night and beat me up once again. I can't really figure out why we've never gotten along. I've never really had much fun on New Year's. I've read that some of you are in a similar boat as me.

Last night, I was going to watch my Florida Gators play which should lead me up to the Times Square ball drop. Well, my Gators weren't on because they're on tomorrow. So I played online Trivia (yes, I'm a nerd and a dork) to occupy my time until the ball drop. The TV was on but I was not paying attention until, at 11:50 p.m., it turned to snow. No, not the white fluffy stuff but the loud staticky stuff. Great, the cable went out. It never came back on. I missed the ball drop. I called my mom who 'talked me through it.'

I thought I might be spending the night with someone after her work shift, but that didn't materialize either. I tried to sleep it off but couldn't. So I stayed up all night playing trivia. I answered something like 91 questions over a nine-hour period. Looking back, it *was* sorta fun. An offbeat way to stimulate the brain. Not exactly how I thought it would be stimulated, but hey, that's typical New Year's Eve for me.

I still haven't slept and the cable is still out. Comcast said the cable was cut and they didn't know when it would be repaired. And so begins 2006. If I tap my heels together and whisper, "There's no place like home," do you think I could turn the clock back 24 hours?

10 Comments:

  • Probably not. But if it works, will you please let me know? ;)

    Sorry your NYE was less than fantastic, too. Remember: it's only one night.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:36 PM, January 01, 2006  

  • part of me would have more fun at your place on new years. I was at a party that was so strange. It ranged from 10 yr olds to a gandmother that would not shut up about WWII. I wasn't in the mood to drink, and being sober when everyone else is shitfaced is no fun. Next year I am demanding a romantic night in a hotel in London with views of the firework display at the London Eye.

    It's just one night in an entire year. We have plenty of time to make it up PT. Plenty of time.

    I also demand you have a bloody good year. YOu deserve one, dammit. ;)

    xx amanda

    By Blogger slow poke kate, at 7:24 PM, January 01, 2006  

  • Thanks my dear "A's." Yeah, it's only New Years. Lots to look forward too.

    By Blogger Plantation, at 8:15 PM, January 01, 2006  

  • Happy New Year Todd, you certainly deserve it. I often wonder what if and why not, but you've already given me your thoughts. I still can't help but wonder.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:33 PM, January 01, 2006  

  • Happy New Year! NYE's are so anticlimactic, I wish they weren't such a big deal. That's why I'm perfectly happy staying at home with my husband falling asleep on the couch, watching a movie or reading a book or whatever! I'm a big nerd too :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:57 AM, January 02, 2006  

  • Hi T!

    I'm still having trouble leaving a comment. Must be me? *L*

    I am sorry you had to spend NYE alone and of all things the cable goes out in the nick of time! We also had snow but the kind that falls from the sky, and we have some of the most boring NYE's ever. We often get take out, watch TV and drink sparkling apple cider at midnight, (champagne goes to waste in this house), then we conk out and go to bed. Very non eventful.

    Don't worry, NYE's does not mark the year to come. I hope you have a spectacular new year and may all your good hopes and dreams come true!


    Mari

    By Blogger Nica, at 10:59 AM, January 02, 2006  

  • Absolutely none of my business, other than I've been following your blog for some time now, but WHO are you planning overnights with? Did I miss something or is this a new development? I just knew something great would happen to you in the romance department. You're just too great of a guy to be single forever!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:41 PM, January 02, 2006  

  • anon, it's not what you think. i'm not that lucky

    By Blogger Plantation, at 10:48 PM, January 02, 2006  

  • Yeah - NYE is somewhat over rated unless you really try and plan it. Other wise it's a little silly. I am late on commenting so hopefully by your cable is back up and running.

    If your nye is indicative of the year then it sounds like you may be getting off to a good start (glass is half full). You were challenged by the trivia questions and defeated them.

    By Blogger Sass, at 7:35 AM, January 03, 2006  

  • Happy New Year Todd! May 2006 be your best year yet. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:18 PM, January 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home