.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

January 26, 2006

BEAUTIFUL

(Note, this post was inspired by the captivating and talented writer known as Sass)

At least there were *some* benefits to my Comcast debacle. Last Saturday, I did the T-Mobile thing over at Starbucks. I kept the tiny moment in my head and in my heart until I read Sass’s post. Now I want to share this simple story that’s still frozen in my memory.

What is it about Starbucks anyway? Why is that place so comforting? Is it the great music playing? The soft-felt chairs? The people watching? The coffee drinks themselves? I think I could live there 24/7. But I digress as usual.

I was checking emails when I heard the song come on…

My life is brilliant. My love is pure.
I saw an angel. Of that I'm sure.
She smiled at me on the subway.
She was with another man.
But I won't lose no sleep on that,
'Cause I've got a plan.

You're beautiful. You're beautiful.
You're beautiful, it's true,
I saw your face in a crowded place,
And I don't know what to do,
Cause I'll never be with you.

Yeah, James Blunt's “You’re Beautiful.” Have you heard it? I get lost in it every time I hear it. I can’t help it. It’s the part of me that yearns to share that song with a special someone. Sure, some of the words slipped out of me in song. Sometimes, I just can’t help it. I looked to my left and noticed a young couple sitting very closely, sipping their coffee and listening to the song…

Yeah, she caught my eye, As I walked on by.
She could see from my face that I was, Fucking high,
And I don't think that I'll see her again,
But we shared a moment that will last till the end.

You're beautiful. You're beautiful.
You're beautiful, it's true.
I saw your face in a crowded place,
And I don't know what to do,
'Cause I'll never be with you.

I watched their expressions. The look in their eyes. I saw the invisible connection between them. Is that possible? I heard her whisper to him something about the song. About how great it was. She wondered who sang it? I watched them share this song together.

You're beautiful. You're beautiful.
You're beautiful, it's true.
There must be an angel with a smile on her face,
When she thought up that I should be with you.
But it's time to face the truth,
I will never be with you.

I smiled inside. It warmed my heart. “Yeah, that’s what’s missing from my life,” I thought to myself. Perfect little moments like those. I waited until the song ended. I looked their way and said to them, “Great song, huh? It’s by James Blunt.” They agreed and thanked me. I loved seeing the both of them smile.

They got up to leave and they told me to have a great day. “Thanks, you too.” They left hand-in-hand. Totally in love. I smiled to myself again. Little did they know, they already made it a beautifully great day for me.

14 Comments:

  • I Looooooove that song! Love his voice. I'm going to make it a point to get his cd sometime this weekend.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:16 PM, January 26, 2006  

  • All together now, "Awwww."

    I cried the first time i heard that song. I think i was on the Precor watching the video and claiming the sweat had fallen in my eyes as my trainer walked by to check on me, "Yeah, i'm fine - it's just sweat. Yeah. That's all."

    It is those perfect little brief moments that truly are beautiful. I miss those too.

    By Blogger Sass, at 1:14 AM, January 27, 2006  

  • I'm a James Blunt addict. So hooked. I listen to that song on repeat until I can't take it anymore.

    By Blogger Stephanie Klein, at 11:38 AM, January 27, 2006  

  • One day, from a cube afar, I heard someone at work playing that song. Eventually, I realized that they had burned a CD of their faves and just let it repeat throughout the day. I can't tell you how many times I have heard this song in the past two weeks. Then, yesterday, it was closer...my cube neighbor borrowed it from the unknown source and now I'm even MORE aware. Good thing I like it, huh?

    By Blogger JuRiScHiCk, at 11:00 AM, January 28, 2006  

  • This song touches everyone that hears it. Do you suppose its because we all wish for that kind of pure love. I bought the c/d and almost all the songs are great and most of the songs are the "touch you" type of songs. You have good taste in music PT.

    By Blogger Smiles, at 11:12 AM, January 28, 2006  

  • It's a really nice song, but depressing as hell. It's not really about love at all given that he sees a woman on a train, and NEVER AGAIN

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:39 PM, January 28, 2006  

  • However anon, it is about appreciating the small things in life, sharing moments even with strangers from afar.
    *UPDATE*-Got the CD last night, LOVE IT!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:30 PM, January 29, 2006  

  • Yes, Anon indeed the song could be considered depressing. It all depends on how we analyze the words. I myself, found the words enlightening; they reminded me that love is a very fragile emotion that touches us all in unique and special ways. Even something as insignificant as making eye contact with another person touches them. How much it touches them we may never know.

    By Blogger Smiles, at 6:28 PM, January 29, 2006  

  • I agree with Sherri and Alexis. Plus, songs can be romantic and dreamy without actually being about love. This one hits home for me.

    By Blogger Plantation, at 8:46 PM, January 29, 2006  

  • I had a weekend of "perfect little moments" but now it's back to reality.

    Thanks for (yet again) broadening my musical experience!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:02 AM, January 30, 2006  

  • jesus fucking christ, i'm away for a few weeks, and this place turns into a sap fest.

    those lyrics...so fucking original...wow.

    By Blogger (S)wine, at 8:39 PM, January 30, 2006  

  • Bad day at the office Whistle?

    By Blogger Plantation, at 9:08 PM, January 30, 2006  

  • I hate this song until I heard the words and then ohmygosh-I love it! It's perfect.

    By Blogger Miss Scarlet, at 9:54 AM, January 31, 2006  

  • I love James Blunt when he's not depressing the hell out of me.

    By Blogger Buffy, at 1:05 PM, February 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home