.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

December 18, 2005

IT’S BETTER TO REGIFT THAN TO RECEIVE


Tis the season where we often receive gifts that we have no earthy intention of ever using and wonder how anyone could consider buying such gifts. Yes I know that it’s the thought that counts. But what if the act of giving really didn’t take much thought at all. Take, for example, a coffee gift basket that your neighbor or Secret Santa got. They decide there’s not much use for the basket so now what? Well if they’re like Tim Watley of Seinfeld, and his Label Maker, there is only one option. The regift.

That’s right. Take a gift you got and regift it to someone else. I think at some point in our lives, we’re all guilty of it. But the one thing you simply must avoid is getting caught, right? You gotta make sure that your regift will leave no trace that your cheesy gift is actually a regift. Well, my friend’s neighbor didn’t cover his tracks.

My friend told me he got a coffee/cocoa gift basket from his neighbor. A seemingly nice gesture. But when he opened up the basket, the coffee mugs were already personalized with his neighbor’s names, “Kate” and “Matt.” Busted. So you see ladies and gentlemen, make sure you’re a Santa when you regift and cover your tracks. Otherwise, you’ll be labeled a Scrooge or worse yet, a regifter.

10 Comments:

  • Hahaha. Oh, no! How embarassing! For the regifter AND the regifted!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:02 PM, December 18, 2005  

  • What's worse is, now the Today Show hosts, Katie and Matt, have to have unpersonalized coffee mugs. How to show their faces on set...

    By Blogger Esther Kustanowitz, at 9:57 AM, December 19, 2005  

  • Too funny. The art of regifting is not given to all...only a few are so blessed!

    By Blogger Denise, at 5:51 PM, December 19, 2005  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Smiles, at 11:00 AM, December 20, 2005  

  • How embarassing for both the giver and receiver. Ouch! Merry Christmas PT hope your holiday is good. Do you get to see Andy?

    By Blogger Smiles, at 11:03 AM, December 20, 2005  

  • classic! So funny about the mugs. I would absolutely die. I am regifting a secret santa gift to my mother in-law. It is a bath smellies collection which my skin is too sensitive to use the "cheaper" stuff. However, I know mum will love it. I should have check for personalised bubble bath before I wrapped it! And, just for the record, we bought mum many gifts so she won't just receieve my regift ;)

    Happy Christmas Babe!

    By Blogger slow poke kate, at 2:07 PM, December 20, 2005  

  • Merry Christmas Todd! I do hope you truly enjoy it this year. Warm wishes.

    By Blogger Sass, at 2:47 PM, December 24, 2005  

  • What a hoot! I've been regifting alot this year... I think. Is it regifting when you wrap up treasures that you already own and give them to others. Like today, I wrapped up a large bottle of chardonnay in festive Christmas cellophane and ribbons to take to friends for Christmas Eve tonight.

    By Blogger Kathi, at 3:58 PM, December 24, 2005  

  • Thanks everyone, Happy Holidays to all of you.

    Kathi, I think in order for it to be a regift, it had to be gifted to you first. I think your Chard bottle brings about a whole new category. The ungift, perhaps?

    By Blogger Plantation, at 5:19 PM, December 24, 2005  

  • I've just decided I'm regifting a gift basket. It's tasteful, has wine, crackers, etc. Dinner party gift. Wish me luck.

    By Blogger Plantation, at 11:21 PM, December 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home