.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

December 08, 2005

IMAGINING


25 years ago to the day, I was a freshman in college. I was watching Monday Night Football. My beloved Dolphins were playing the Patriots if I’m not mistaken. I think Miami won, but I’m not even sure. I don’t remember much about the game, just something that happened *during* the game.

It was late in the 4th quarter as I recall. Howard Cosell, sort of out of nowhere, made an announcement as only he could. In a somber tone, he told us that John Lennon had been shot twice in the back near his Dakota apartment in New York City, and that he was rushed to so-and-so hospital. Before I could even process my shock, Howard said something like, “Dead on arrival. An unspeakable tragedy.”

My blood rushed right through me. I felt flushed, tingly, and numb. I was a big Beatles fan. A big Lennon fan. John had been out of the limelight for so long until his then recently released album “Starting Over.” It was good to hear his voice over the airwaves once again. I had just read that he was at peace with his life and happy. So sad. I dunno. I felt like I lost a best friend. I had this really empty, empty feeling in my heart.

It’s still there. Every anniversary now is a reminder. And now, incredibly, it’s been 25 years. And I’m sad to watch the stories once again. I recall that this story dominated the news headlines for weeks. Mark David Chapman made sure there would be no Beatle reunion ever. I know I’m only one of millions of John Lennon fans who has spoken or written about his death. Any maybe this story is, in fact, old news. But I can’t really imagine ever forgetting John, his music, his genius, and his untimely death on December 8th, 1980. Happy Christmas, John.

5 Comments:

  • you have an incredible memory.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:48 PM, December 08, 2005  

  • uhm...in 1980 I wasn't born yet...
    So I appreciated your post.

    By Blogger Liz, at 2:14 PM, December 09, 2005  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Smiles, at 8:41 AM, December 10, 2005  

  • Yes, I too, miss this man who touched us all with his haunting, deep words of peace for our world. I didnt really learn to appreciate the Beatles or John until I was older.He really was quite a remarkable man. I always have enjoyed listening to his lyrics.I am sorry his mission and his life was cut short as most of us feel he could have given us so much more if only given the chance. Sadly missed indeed.

    By Blogger Smiles, at 8:51 AM, December 10, 2005  

  • I was in elementary school when this happened. I was getting a ride home from my friend's mom when she suddenly pulled over to the side of the road. The news had come on the radio. There were tears streaming down her face and one of Lennon's songs playing on the radio. I wasn't too sure who he was before that moment, but I've never forgotten about him since.

    By Blogger Caterina, at 8:05 PM, December 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home