.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

November 09, 2005

LIGHTS AND SOUNDS


Their website couldn’t have described them more perfectly. “Yellowcard isn’t your typical young punk band -- starting with the classically-trained violinist in their ranks.” That’s the first thing that struck me when I saw Yellowcard in concert last week. You just don’t see many bands having a violinist play such a prominent part in the band’s overall sound. But Sean Mackin’s violin does just that. And combined with Ryan Key’s guitar and vocals, the music offers great flexibility from fast-paced hits such as Way Away and Ocean Avenue to the more ballad-laden Only One.

The concert was a great relief for me and the stuffed-in crowd at the Culture Room. It may have been our first real opportunity to get out and do something other than wait in line for ice and water.
I arrived late but just in time for the band’s arrival on stage. They were greeted with a tremendous roar and a lot of pent up hurricane energy. The band wasted no time playing their popular Way Away. Again, what caught me off guard was the fury and talent in which Macklin played that violin. Throughout the one-hour set, the band offered sympathies regarding Hurricane Wilma and dedicated a few songs to the entertainment-starved crowd. They explained to us that due to the Broward County curfew, they had to be off the stage by 10 p.m. which meant no time for a traditional encore. Instead they just played straight through for an hour. They played most of their songs off their successful album, Ocean Avenue as well as some new hits including the title track off their upcoming CD Lights and Sounds.

The concert was over before I knew it. But the energy in that one hour was really amazing. It made me feel good to see these four young guys from my old stomping grounds of Jacksonville, Florida make it big. At least now, after all these years, Jacksonville music can be known for something other than Southern Rock bands Lynyrd Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, and .38 Special.

6 Comments:

  • sounds like a good time. I am due for a good concert soon. More in the mood for Jazz lately....

    By Blogger slow poke kate, at 6:47 AM, November 13, 2005  

  • Not that it matters, but I used to work with a co-worker (whom I hated) and she married one of the guys from 38 Special. Ugh, could not stand her!

    Anyway, glad to hear you had a great time. Did you go to U2 last night? Or tommorrow? I kinda wish I had even though I've already seen them several times in concert.

    By Blogger Caterina, at 1:21 PM, November 14, 2005  

  • hey where are you?

    By Blogger Sass, at 8:35 PM, November 15, 2005  

  • is this what you do in your free time? listen to shitty bands.

    how pathetic.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:13 PM, November 16, 2005  

  • You got any better suggestions, gutless?

    By Blogger Plantation, at 3:29 PM, November 16, 2005  

  • They are going to be up im my neck of the woods pretty soon, and that is a good suggestion.

    Went to see Depeche mode the other night-amazing. Check em out if you get the chance, as Dave Gahan has become God once again.

    nice to see you survived the asscan 'cane. I haven't been here for a while, but I will be back more often now!

    By Blogger Rommel, at 9:20 PM, November 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home