.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

October 30, 2005

THE WILMA FILES, DAY 7. UNPREDICTABLE AS THE WEATHER

Sunday, 10/30. 6:41 a.m.
The sun’s up early today. No more Daylight Savings Time here in the East. I decided I’m going to make my first gas run after scouting out a gas station in Weston yesterday. My drive over to Weston has convinced me that things are still abnormal. I’ve never seen so many police cars on the roads. They all have their lights going. Maybe this will be the next ‘in thing.’

I spot my gas station. It’s open and there’s a line, but it’s not too bad. Probably less than a half-mile which, these days, is outstanding. The line is moving slowly, but at least it moves. It only took 30 minutes to get to the pumps. There is yellow tape and cop cars awaiting me. “Cash only, pay first,” they say. No problem; I’m elated. I only need a ½ tank, but it feels good seeing the needle on ‘F.’ I can make it to Thursday night now. It costs me 90 miles per day commuting to work and back. Maybe by Thursday, the gas crisis won’t be so bad. Heck, I might as well take advantage of Weston’s hospitality. I’m going to go grab a bagel.

7:12 a.m.
Aaah. This time, they’ve got bagels AND cream cheese. Food tastes so good now.

7:37 a.m.
This morning, I decided to give up on the Camp FEMA thing. Ice only lasts me a day, and it’s a pain in the ass to wait in line for the *possibility* of getting it. So I’m done with my only luxury. But then I started thinking. I’m in Weston, they should have ice by now. So I’m off to get ice..

7:40 a.m.
Ice heaven. They’ve got a pallet right in the middle of the store. I’m grabbing two bags, a newspaper, and some strawberry preserves. And the hell with that low sugar crap, I’m going all out for the regular stuff!

8:06 a.m.
On my way home, I pass a trailer park. Trailers in Florida should be outlawed. They’re no match for a hurricane. There is yellow tape and cops all over the place. Most homes are severely damaged; some homes are just piles of rubble. Sad.

No plans for the rest of today. I’m gonna study chapter 6 and go run later. It’s gonna get dark at 6 tonight. Man, everything grinds to a halt after sundown. There aren’t many residents here, I’ve noticed. I guess they had friends/relatives in Weston or Dade County where there is power. Work tomorrow. I wonder if they’ll recognize me with my new hurricane beard? Believe me, it’s not a good look for me. But I’ve decided I’m boycotting shaving and car washing until the power gets restored. The paper today says November 15th for Plantation. Can you imagine another two weeks of this? That’s a lot more cold showers. Brrrr.

Tomorrow night is Halloween. I think Plantation has canceled it due to no power. What a shame for all the kids. My plans got canceled, too. The Death Cab For Cutie concert is cancelled. The boys are now playing two sets in Orlando. A lot of good that does me. Damn you, Wilma.

NEW ENTRY
3:54 p.m.
I’m studying chapter six and incredibly, I see my lamp light up! I let a scream out. I’m not sure where it came from, but now I’m hearing a bunch of happy screams. Houston, we have power. I only wish the rest of South Florida can be restored as quickly as possible and ahead of schedule. We have a long way to go before things are completely back to normal. I’m glad I can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel. Literally.

11 Comments:

  • Everything you've written has been so fascinating, PT. I'm so glad you're safe. XO!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:41 PM, October 30, 2005  

  • Glad to hear the calls I made to my friends at the electric company wern't in vain. ;-)

    By Blogger Sass, at 11:11 PM, October 30, 2005  

  • Yeah!!!! I'm really happy power has been restored. The warm shower and hot food will be soooo good.

    By Blogger Gatsby, at 11:33 PM, October 30, 2005  

  • Thanks for posting and letting us know how you are. It is terrible that you are going through such an ordeal!

    By Blogger Genna, at 8:03 AM, October 31, 2005  

  • YAY you're with power! I'm so happy. Just think... hot showers... ac... glorious! Love all your updates, I'm glad you're doing OK.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:27 PM, October 31, 2005  

  • I'm sure a hot shower never felt so good! Nice log. Now STUDY!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:00 PM, October 31, 2005  

  • Its been interesting to read your perspectives on the hurricanes and what you've been through. I bet you really appreciate that electricity now after not having it. We dont know what we have until its gone...

    By Blogger Smiles, at 6:00 PM, October 31, 2005  

  • Hot showers and iced coffee are what makes us human!

    By Blogger Denise, at 7:34 PM, October 31, 2005  

  • Happy for you, however, I'm in Sunrise and still no power. Oh yea and I work in Miami so I hear you on the 90 mile commute thing. It was hot and humid this morning. Unbearable. Brought my hair dryer to work with me!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:15 AM, November 01, 2005  

  • Sassy, I appreciate the call.
    Gatsby, our resident weatherman, wasn't you who said, "The most recent forecast has it being pretty weak when it hits Flordia,"? Yeah, I know. You also said they were terrible at predicting intensity.
    A, Carla H, GFF, Miss Elisabeth, Sherri,thanks for the kinds words.
    Kat, I hope you get your power on soon. That totally sux. If you need water or ice, lemme know...

    By Blogger Plantation, at 11:18 PM, November 01, 2005  

  • Yep, this Yankee is so terrified of cold showers that I bought a SunShower II, just in case Houston gets hit any time in the future. Four gallons of water warmed by our friend the Sun.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:58 PM, November 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home