.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

October 29, 2005

THE WILMA FILES, DAY 3. NEIGHBORLY

Wednesday, 10/26/05

7:00 a.m.
Up early to get ice and water from a FEMA sight. The ice from my freezer is all but gone now. It's the only luxury I have. I creep my way along the traffic light-less roads. Every intersection is an accident waiting to happen. Oh my god, look at all the cars waiting in line. It is 7 a.m., isn’t it? I mean, they open at 9! Yes, panic is in the air.

7:45 a.m.
A policeman is yelling through a megaphone to follow the car in front of us. We’re locating to the back of the park. Now what? I guess we wait.

8:20 a.m.
They’re opening the gates. Maybe FEMA has learned from its apparent mistakes from yesterday?

9:00 a.m.
Still no movement. A guy two cars in front of me says all the ice and water is there, but FEMA officials haven’t shown up. You mean to tell me the cops don’t have the ability to hand the stuff out? Now the radio is saying they should be passing the stuff out and not waiting for FEMA. Good grief.

9:20 a.m.
Finally, we’re moving and I’m going next. 3 gallons of water and two small bags of ice. As I leave, I see the line has more than quadrupled. Patience people. You’re gonna need it.

10:47 a.m.
I see my neighbor Joe and tell him about the ice. He asks me the details and I fill him in. He says he needs water so I offer him a ride to the store. Joe is 65 and has diabetes and doesn’t walk very well. The smile on his face alone make it all worth while. I drop him off and tell him I’ll pick him up in an hour. He’s forever grateful.

12:15 p.m.
I pick up Joe and help him lug the two cases of water he bought up the stairs. I’m feeling happy I can help out.

The radio continues to say Plantation has no power and to boil your water. Can anyone say Oxymoron? My sister has been calling my work hurricane hotline to see if I'm working everyday. Something tells me there will be no work this week.

7:00 p.m.
Curfew. Everyone is supposed to be off the streets. I guess most aren’t used to the concept quite yet as there are tons of cars on the road from my vantage point. My ice has already melted despite it being in a cooler. Looks like I have another date with FEMA…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home