.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

October 16, 2005

LOST


O.K. This time it’s what you think it is. I missed the boat during the first season. I’d seen previews and heard about the show prior to its premiere. But I never got the chance to watch it because I was working late practically every night. I even missed the summer reruns. And then I’d heard so much about it being THE can’t miss show. I did manage to catch the last hour of the finale rerun. Of course, I had no clue who any of these people were, but it was interesting. I caught the latter half of the second season premiere episode. I still didn’t get it, but it still was interesting. I thought the only way for me to figure it all out was to rent the DVDs.

Well, I tried. I know Blockbuster is so 90s and that NetFlix is all the rage, but it was Friday and I didn’t want to wait. So for the first time since like 1996, I walked into Blockbuster. There’s an old saying, “The more things change, the more they stay the same.” True for Blockbuster. I walked in and gone were the old VHS boxes for our VCRs. In their places were the smaller DVD boxes. It made the store look different. I laughed to myself when I realized just how long it had been since I was in one of these crapass (Stephanie Klein term) stores. I thought I’d heard somewhere that Blockbuster guarantees they’d have your video (or is it DVD now?). That was appealing to me because in the old days, new releases were forever sold out. So I made my way over to Lost. Not only did I discover that there were seven separate DVDs, but that five of the seven were sold out including the first four volumes. As I angrily left the store, that old saying popped into my head.

The hell with it. By the time I spend all that money renting it, I could buy the friggin’ thing. So I went over to Costco the next day and bought the entire first season for a mere $35. And so, my marathon began. It didn’t take long before Lost hooked me. I don’t have to tell any Lost fans out there how gripping and riveting the story lines are not to mention how interesting the characters are. And that Evangeline Lilly. Oh my. I couldn’t stop. I wanted to but couldn’t. I had to see the next episode. My first session lasted eight hours until I gave in at 6 a.m. My next session was a mere four hours on a work night until 4 a.m. Six discs and 24 hours later, I’ve caught up now. I’m so lost in Lost it isn’t even funny. What a great show. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me tense, and it scared me shitless. I’m sure I’m the last standing American to watch it, but if you haven’t already done so, I’m tellin’ ya, it’s worth it. Go find Lost.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home