.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

September 23, 2005

JUST THINKING...

Been a hectic week. 12-hour days at work leaves me not much time to write. A couple of thoughts hit me this week. First, my commute to work is 40 miles and takes me 90 minutes. Bumper-to-bumper highway traffic. Accidents everywhere. Rain is an added 30 minutes. So with all this traffic, why do cops play the “hide and seek” game? Yeah, this makes sense. They try to conceal themselves around corners and in between overpasses. They’ve got their radar guns poised. Their goal obviously is to catch speeders. But hey, isn’t it rush hour? I mean how many friggin people can speed in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Oh sure there are a few stretches along my route where I can speed, but the opportunities are so few and far between. Yet these cops sit and wait for us and then, goodie for them. They catch one of us frustrated drivers and lo and behold, the siren goes on and they pull the car over and create yet another traffic jam mess because everyone has to slow down and avoid the situation. I see this all the time. It just makes me wonder where is the sense in any of this?

Last night, I worked darn near until 11 p.m. I wish like hell I actually liked my profession. But to me, it’s so damn boring and uninteresting. My job is to basically make sure people are doing their jobs correctly in accordance with established Accounting policies and procedures. Yawn. I really envy the people I’ve worked with over the years who live for this shit. They can talk and talk for days about work. Wow, internal controls! How interesting! Amazingly, I have little to no interest in what I do yet I’ve been doing this for 17 years now. Can you believe that? I think I need to have my head examined. Oh I forgot. I already did that last year.

I love my new boss. He’s very fair, easy-going, and funny. He too is into his/our work. He got on a roll last night. It was 10 pm and these thoughts just kept rolling off his tongue. I sat there half-glazed, or more likely it was ¾ glazed, thinking to myself wondering how anyone could be so into this crap? By 10 pm, my brain is mush and all I’m thinking about is what I’m going to eat for dinner and what’s on TV. It’s like my brain cannot handle another work thought. Yet I think my boss could have free-wheeled it for another two hours had I not started packing up my stuff. I sure hope I catch a break one of these days and get a book deal. I think I’d devote the rest of my career to writing and taking classes on how to improve my writing. Wow, I could be just like my boss, crazy about what I do for a living. That for me would be a first.

P.S. Once again to all my Texas bloggers, be safe out there.

8 Comments:

  • My friend,

    Is like I told you a couple of months late afternoon in Coco's... Dont do it for the money. Do it for the love. When you do things for the love the money will follow you. I hope that someday you will have the chance to pursue your dream... I mean it in an honest way.

    You are a good guy. By know u know who I am.

    Peace be the journey....

    By Blogger Alfredito Rivera, at 1:25 PM, September 23, 2005  

  • I work with a lot of CPA's, but they are all teaching the very same crap you are talking about. And they get excited about teaching accounting! They talk about it non-stop. So, I hear ya. Yawn.

    But I think freddy rivera has a point. To be able to do something one loves would be an ideal life.

    By Blogger Caterina, at 1:48 PM, September 23, 2005  

  • i know what you mean. definitely go after what will make you happy!

    By Blogger Amanda, at 3:19 PM, September 23, 2005  

  • Hey I love your blog! I just have to say, the main reason I like it is because of all your musical references. Jimmy Eat World is one of my absolute favorite bands. AND I went to the JEW/GD show up her in Philly, so w have something in common.

    -mel

    By Blogger meljoy, at 3:53 PM, September 23, 2005  

  • The recipe for personal success:
    Find a need that beats your drum.
    Create a plan, then make a dent.
    Trust that your rewards will come.
    And credit them as heaven sent.

    Just a thought Todd Moser..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:39 PM, September 23, 2005  

  • It's good to know you are enjoying your new job and for the time being are challenged.

    To respond to your, "it just makes me wonder where all the sense is" - I don't think there is any sense. If we knew what to expect and what was around every corner we'd be friggin bored. However, I see your point - aren't the cops supposed to protect us and prevent danger - yet by hiding behind corners . . . and racing out after us cause some of the largest traffic tie ups.

    By Blogger Sass, at 7:58 PM, September 24, 2005  

  • Are you taking steps to make your career as an author happen? Working at a job that makes you numb is bad for your soul...do something today to make your dream a reality, K? :-)

    By Blogger Denise, at 2:25 PM, September 25, 2005  

  • You don't seem to be a boring CPA. I knew some accounting majors in college. They were very excited for an upcoming club field trip to the IRS HQ in Washington DC.

    By Blogger Lyss, at 4:31 PM, September 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home