.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

August 07, 2005

REAL


You probably shook your head, laughed, scoffed, or wondered in bewilderment why I listed MTV's Real World in my list of 5 TV Shows I watch. I think it started when I was sick one weekend and MTV was running a Real World marathon of season six (Boston). I began watching it and some 20 or so hours later, I'd seen the whole season and was hooked. Since then I think I've seen eight of the ten seasons. I usually catch weekend marathons and, like Boston, end up watching the entire season in one weekend.

So why am I hooked on this seemingly juvenile reality show? I guess it's similar to why I'm not afraid to admit I listen to singers like Avril Lavigne or Michelle Branch. Sure they're attractive, have an overly 'poppy' sound, but they sing and write songs with meaning and issues I relate to. Real World is the same way. There are some catchy tunes along with pretty girls and hunky guys drinking, partying, blowing off work, fighting, etc. But there are often storylines and issues that are indeed real and close to home for me. And it may surprise you, but some of the cast members are quite intelligent and mature beyond their years.

In the current season (Austin), the cameras capture an emotional moment when Danny learns from his father that his mother has just died. Sure, I cried. If you've never lost a parent, I guess it's hard to describe that feeling when you've been told. I found this episode very reassuring as Danny's housemates tried to console him. One of them, Nehemiah, had something very profound to say, and it made me really think. He said, "A part of life that we have to accept is knowing that tomorrow wasn't promised."

9 Comments:

  • Very true. Like you, I am an avid watcher of RW. I believe my infatuation with the show began the season before Boston.... I believe it was Miami? Anyway, I just saw that episode today. I started bawling when they recapped Danny's conversation w/ his mom four days before. We just never know when something like that is going to happen, and as one of the girls said "It could have been any of our parents." It makes you appreciate your loved ones even if your relationship with them isn't as exactly as ideal as you would want it to be.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:28 PM, August 07, 2005  

  • I used to love RW... but have had a lot of trouble getting into the last few seasons. I found myself anxiously waiting for the 30 minutes to be over... so I just removed it from my TIVO season pass. I may catch up on a weekend marathon sometime :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:51 AM, August 08, 2005  

  • one time i was watching a real world marathon one weekend in high school and i went to school on monday feeling like i had just spent a weekend with friends, like i had made new friends. scary things that real world feeds us!

    By Blogger Amanda, at 12:16 PM, August 08, 2005  

  • I wonder if, later in life, that guy (Danny) will regret being on a silly reality show instead of being with his mother during her last days.

    I think our obsession with fame in this society - and the price young (and old) kids are willing to pay for it - is disgusting.

    Just my opinion.

    By Blogger Caterina, at 5:00 PM, August 08, 2005  

  • Did you watch the show? His mother died of a heart attack. You usually just don't see that coming. In the episode where they introduce the cast mates Danny worked with his father in construction. He (in his words) wanted something better for his life- to get out and see a little bit of the world. I don't know if I would have done it in the form of a reality show- but he did. His choice. And from the looks of it, he didn't exactly have the best relationship with his mother. I'm not making excuses for him- but sometimes we don't always have the "whole" story. She seemed very proud of her son for getting out there and having perhaps, an experience of a lifetime.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:21 PM, August 08, 2005  

  • I'm not such a big fan of "argument as drama" style of tv show. Conflict as drama is ok, but I think there is a difference. Most reality shows don't seem to know the difference. The real world was at least novel when it came out. I suppose it's got lots of imitators now.

    By Blogger Gatsby, at 10:10 PM, August 08, 2005  

  • as much as the real world drives me bonkers, i would love to catch the latest one...though i never ran into them (they didn't exactly frequent the best bars), they did create a little ruckus in this wonderful city. fortunately for me, i found a local group that posts a recap every week. obviously i can't really say, but i think it might be better than the real thing.

    By Blogger R3dcurlz, at 11:27 PM, August 09, 2005  

  • Wouldn't you have had a better time
    watching a Three Stooges marathon?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:41 PM, August 11, 2005  

  • Oh God, I just ran into that VERY episode while channel surfing
    (never seen the show before...stopped watching MTV @ the year 1980). I've never seen such exploitative dreck in my life. Many mornings as I inhale my morning cup of joe in the breakroom
    , my coworkers are avidly rehashing the previous evening's viewing of Survivor, American Idol, and the one with Donald Trump in it (?)- ESPECIALLY odious. What a waste.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:17 PM, August 16, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home