.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

April 23, 2005

SLIGHTLY ASKEW

She’s taught me a lot although she doesn’t realize it. It’s unintentional. It’s her aura. Recently, I met her for a movie and a popcorn dinner. Afterward, perhaps some coffee and an ice cream from the shop next door. I got to the theater and there she was, sitting in front of the ice cream shoppe with a big ol’ banana split on her lap, a big smile on her face. She looked 13, but she’s my age. In that moment, and there have been many others, she captured youth so naturally, so innocently.

I noticed something early on shortly after meeting her. She would ask me a question completely out of context and out of left field. Dead silence and then, “Are you left handed?” I’d look at her as if to say, “Where did *that* come from?” I like her because she can laugh at herself. And she’s had a lot of opportunities lately. She keeps hitting her head on the same overhead bin and practically knocks herself silly. She’s spilled a pint of coffee in place where no beverages are allowed. She eats jelly beans, Cheetos, and Doritos all day long but doesn’t gain an ounce. She’s not into sappy romance, and don’t call her too often. Guys, daily phone calls don’t cut it.


Once again, dead silence and then I hear someone yelling at me, and it’s her. She’s got her headphones on and thinks I can’t hear her over ‘the noise.’ She takes risks, too. She’s flying long distance to meet someone she met on match.com. When I asked her about why she does the things she does, she told me that her life is “slightly askew.” I told her that ‘slightly askew’ would make a great name for a book and maybe a post from me. So now when she talks to me, I tilt my chair over to a 45-degree angle so I can meet her at her slightly askew level.

I’ve tried to think of one word that best describes her. Slightly askew fits, but those are her words. Youthful, free-spirited, genuine, unusual, unique, real. Hmmm, they all fit. We’re just friends, mind you. No, Plantation Todd is not smitten again. But she’s got that certain combination of qualities that make me aware of the type of person I’m looking for. One word? Rare.

4 Comments:

  • I liked this one. Short, spare, vivid. "Slightly askew" is a great description.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:13 PM, April 23, 2005  

  • Hey PT....I am glad to hear a smile in your voice...er through ur typings. Take your time, don't rush things at all with her and enjoy being Slightly Askew! If nothing more comes of this than a friendship, than be thankful for having a fun friend....but I am rooting for it to SOMEDAY develop into something more. She seems like a fun lady! :)
    Have a good day! SMILE
    Miss Ryder

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:04 PM, April 23, 2005  

  • I think that would be a great title!

    By Blogger Mrs. Architect, at 10:39 AM, April 26, 2005  

  • How'd you meet her?

    Now you realize that her 'handle' will have to be Slightly Askew....(what a Seinfeld-esque nickname).

    By Blogger Lyss, at 8:55 PM, April 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home