.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

March 03, 2005

PLANTATION SENSATION WEEKEND

Maybe Esther *was* right? And why the hell do I keep saying this? Being the gamester that I am, I'm not gonna spell it out for ya. Put the clues together, read on, you'll figure it out...



So I've had this big weekend planned for sometime now. We've been talking about it forever. And I've been so looking forward to it as you could have probably guessed. We finally agreed that she would fly down from the Northeast to meet me. She flew in Friday evening. Friends of mine were throwing me a belated birthday dinner party and they were nice enough to invite her, too.


Oh my god, we had such a great time. Great food, great wine, birthday cake, singing, laughing? Are you kidding? Plus, my friends loved her. We all got along so well. Wasn't that comforting! Saturday, we spent nearly the entire day at one of the biggest art shows in the country. Miles of fabulous artists from all over the world! I've been going to this art show as a kid and have always loved it. I thought it would be a great day for us which is why we planned this particular weekend. And it truly was. She was so into the art, the people watching, the food, the whole scene. I showed her my favorite Italian photographer. She loved him. I introduced her to him. We both bought some prints. Expensive but well worth it. Wow, was I having fun with her. I'd waited so long to have a weekend such as this. Fun, fun, fun.


Saturday night, I took her to one of the finest restaurants in Ft. Lauderdale. It's in what we SoFla people call the Las Olas district. Tons of great restaurants and neat little shops. We walked around for a little while and finally walked into the restaurant around 8. The place was packed. She looked at the outside menu and gasped at the prices. I told her not to worry about it and that the food was well worth it. Oh my was it worth it! I ordered my favorite Pine Ridge Merlot which is so smooth and velvety. She loved it. We decided to each order an appetizer and entree and share everything. I ordered the Crispy potato, goat cheese and portobello terrine with organic greens and tinto vinaigrette. She ordered a seasonal stuffed date in phyllo dough concoction. For dinner she ordered the Crab-crusted black grouper with wild mushroom-salsify ragout, roasted potatoes and horseradish butter I opted for a seasonal swordfish special. We snacked on some homemade Italian bread and EVOO {foodie way of saying extra virgin olive oil}. The 'apps' {foodie term} came out and what a presentation. Almost too pretty to eat it. We split up the plates and I watched for her reaction as she took her first bite. I laughed. Her expression was priceless. That look of , "oh this is to die for!" Then she started in with the, "mmmmmmmms." Wow, she was passionate about food. Bonus points! My expressions were the same. Both appetizers were indeed out of this world. She was digging the place big time. That made me really happy.


The entrees came and it was more of the same. Truly outstanding food. She loved everything. The meal was well paced. Two-hours flew buy. We decided to order dessert and cappuccino. She ordered some homemade toasted almond ice cream, and I went all out with the Three layer chocolate hazelnut 'Kit-Kat' with vanilla fudge ice cream. Oh my lord. Nuff said. A great finish to a great meal and a great time. She thanked me over and over. I liked that. We strolled in and out of the Las Olas before rain cut short the evening. I was really having the time of my life. It had been so long since I've had this much fun.


Sunday we hung out at the beach, saw a smarmy first date kinda movie (The Wedding Date), and bought stuff for an Academy Awards Dinner that I was going to make her. Boy did time fly, I tell ya. My dinner came out wonderful. She loved my cooking and appreciated my effort to cook and clean. More bonus points. We watched the Oscars together and had a fabulous time commenting on the fashion, winners, and losers. It was my lucky night because I kept calling out the winners before they were announced. She was quite impressed. I gave her my Rain Man impression. She laughed.


Hard to believe that happened only last weekend. I miss her already. Will we see each other again? Oh, I have a feeling we certainly will! Yes everyone, Plantation's in love! It was a weekend I'll never forget. And yes, this post is dedicated to you. Thanks mom, for all you do.

14 Comments:

  • Hey there Mr. Noser!
    This was such a creative way to go about telling your weekend with your mom. I was going to ask how that went. I am glad it went well...you needed a good weekend. Sorry I wasn't there to see ya on Monday...I told Josh to tell you hello.
    I saw you run by today (wee hours of thursday morning) I went to pick up my oh so tipsy roomie from the hotel! hanging out with this guy she has been talking too...what a good friend I am! HA
    Happy Belated Birthday!
    take care
    --me

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:29 AM, March 03, 2005  

  • Oh! So you did go to Mark's after all! Good choice! When are you taking me? lol :-)

    By Blogger Michelle, at 8:37 AM, March 03, 2005  

  • You got me, too...I even thought at the beginning "wait, but his mom's supposed to be in town, he blew her off?" And then I'm thinking "he's in love already after one weekend?" Good thing I didn't ruin it by reading the bottom first.

    Had to scan through the menu though, skipped breakfast.

    Cute post!

    By Blogger Queen Helene, at 8:47 AM, March 03, 2005  

  • Okay... knowing the ending in advance totally wrecked my initial read. I couldn't help but think that maybe you were just a tad too excited to see your Mom, or a tad too excited to be writing about her this way!! LOL jk

    I totally get that what I was sensing was your innate pleasure in playing tricks on us! :)

    I know you had a great time with Mom, and I love how it comes across in your writing. Hope you see her again soon.

    By Blogger JuRiScHiCk, at 9:16 AM, March 03, 2005  

  • oh no!! - While I'm soo happy you had a great time w/your mom, I have to admit, that was one of the most dissappointing endings I've ever read in anyones blogs!! - I was soo excited for you...and you gave me hope ***sigh***

    honeydrizzled@hotmail.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:38 AM, March 03, 2005  

  • And here I spent that post thinking I was right.

    Jeez. Just when I was developing some self-esteem.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:47 AM, March 03, 2005  

  • What a great post! Even though I knew the ending already I still found it extremely sweet, warmhearted and sentimental. I wish I had a relationship like that with my mother...Well, have a great day and I'm glad you had such a great time with your mother while also having a break from work for once...you deserve it!
    -Jonelle

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:53 AM, March 03, 2005  

  • Ok, I am such a dumb blonde because I totally bought the whole thing and when I got to the end I thought you were dedicating it to your mom for raising you right and teaching you how to treat women. Gosh am I slow and thank goodness I read the comments people left or I wouldnt have ever caught on. Glad you had a great weekend and I am SUPER jealous of the meal and wine. mmmmmm.....

    By Blogger Mrs. Architect, at 11:38 AM, March 03, 2005  

  • Mmmm, mmmm.... YUM!

    Damn, I'm jealous of your Mom. Glad to hear you had a great time though.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:25 PM, March 03, 2005  

  • Boy!! You totally got me!! I haven't read your blog in a couple of weeks and I am reading this saying,
    "what a liar, he was with his mom, me, etc...... "
    ha ha!!!
    I am still laughing!!
    :0)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:52 PM, March 03, 2005  

  • Oedipus rocks!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:38 PM, March 03, 2005  

  • I just love being around my mom now that I'm old enough to really appreciate her for the wonderful person she is. What a lovely post and, from the sound of it, a lovely weekend, too!

    By Blogger Denise, at 10:18 AM, March 04, 2005  

  • Sounds like a great weekend!! Ain't Moms the best?!

    By Blogger Chuck, at 2:07 PM, March 04, 2005  

  • First of all, can I even tell you how incredibly WONDERFUL you made your dinner sound. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. I love food. LOVE IT. What a sweet delicacy in life.

    Second of all, does your mom read your blog? So sweet & thoughtful of you... I love your perspective, as usual.

    Last, shouldn't it be EVOO instead of EVVO? Just curious.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:10 PM, March 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home