.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chasing The American Dream

February 20, 2005

TAG, I' M IT.

My dear blogging friend Allison has tagged me. Yay. She was tagged by my other dear blogging friend girl from Florida, who was tagged by yet another dear blogging friend Island Girl. And of course I'm choosing to play. Hey it's music-related. Was there any doubt?


1. Total amount of music files on your computer:
This may surprise you. It's only 631. I left most all of my 200 or so CDs with the ex.


2. The last CD you bought was:
I buy very few CDs. I'm a downloader. iITunes for the iPod. The CD I last bought would have to be the Garden State Soundtrack. I highly recommend it.


3. What is the song you last listened to before reading this message?
Last song played during my 2 mile run was Semi-Charmed Live by Third Eye Blind. This is a great song when you're hitting the pavement. Four minutes never went by so quickly.


4. Write down 5-10 songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you:
This question is the toughie. It was originally the top 5, but I couldn't narrow it down. I needed at least 10. I thought long and hard on this one. So many songs. I'm sure I'm leaving out or didn't even think of hundreds. How did I choose my songs? I read the directions for this question. I decided to do it this way. I based it on songs that mean a lot to me. Mean a lot because of a particular memory, a point in time, lyrics, Old Me, New Me, happy, sad, hopeful, etc. The common denominator is that every single time I hear these songs, I feel them deep within my soul. They move me. The lyrics call to me. I relate so closely to them. They are a part of me, and always will be. So in no particular order…



"Fire and Rain" by James Taylor. I've been listening to this amazing song for {embarrassed} 35 years. It so moves me every time. It's a song about highs and lows. JT's imprisonment, his strung-out girlfriend. I can so relate to his cyles. JT's determined to succeed though. My favorite lyrics? "There's just a few things comin' my way this time around.”"


"Closer to Fine" by Indigo Girls. Saw the girls in concert twice. Unusual for a guy to like these girls. Perhaps, but once again the lyrics and the harmonies move me. Another song about life. My favorite lyrics? "And the best thing you've ever done for me, is to help me take my life less seriously. It's only life after all. Yeah."


"Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters" by Elton John/Bernie Taupin. Vintage EJ is probably my all-time favorite music. Mom used to bring home these albums by this unknown piano player from the UK. I grew up on EJ. I could have picked a million songs of his from the early days. Why this one? Twofold, I guess. He sings of lawyers and bankers in the rat race never stopping to stop and smell the roses, to pay attention to whether it's even dark outside or light. I hate those people. I've worked with them for nearly 20 years. But EJ's thankful and so am I. "You stand at the edge while people run you through. And I thank the lord there's people out there like you. I thank the lord there's people out there like you."


"American Pie" by Don McLean. This one isn't about life. It's about the history of rock and roll including Buddy Holly's plane crash. All eight minutes and 38 seconds of it. If you asked me what is my all-time favorite song, this is probably it. No favorite lyrics because they're all equally related. I did my college term paper on this song. Got an 'A.' This song is simply a work of art.


"Yesterday" by The Beatles. Paul outdid himself. Even a bitter John Lennon gave him credit for this song. I too believe in yesterday. I wrote those very same words in my book of the same named chapter.


"Bleed to Love Her" by Fleetwood Mac. I'm sure heads are shaking here. Dunno. Lindsey Buckingham's vocals. So emotional. I desperately want to sing this song with someone in mind. Favorite lyrics? "Once again she steals away, then she reaches out to kiss me. And how she takes my breath away. Pretending that she don't miss me."


"Tupelo Honey" by Van Morrison. Ahh. George Ivan Morrison. Who *doesn't* like Van? I've given this song to the few loves of my life. Sadly, it hasn't worked out. I'm not giving up. I want to play this song for the woman I love and who loves me back. The ultimate romantic song. Fav lyrics, "She's as sweet as tupelo honey. She's an angel of the first degree. She's as sweet as tupelo honey. Just like honey from the bee."


"Catch the Wind" by Donovan. The last of the romantic tunes. This one dates back to 1965. D realizes his chances at loving this special girl aren't much. About the same as trying to catch the wind. Remind you of anyone? Lyrics, "When sundown pales the sky, I want to hide a while behind your smile, and everywhere I'd look, your eyes I'd find."


"Forever Young" by Alphaville. Gotta have a classic 80s tune, right? Lyrically beautiful and recently part of the Saturn advertising campaign. A simple message. I mean, who doesn't wanna be Forever Young? Shut up, Robotnik. Lyrics, "It's so hard to get old without a cause. I don't want to perish like a fading horse. Youth is like diamonds in the sun. And diamonds are forever."


"Caught in a Dream" by Tesla. Last but not least. The newest song on the list. Less than a year old. Title fits me, doesn't it? So do the lyrics. In fact, when my book becomes a movie, Matthew Broderick (who's playing me) will be seen walking to the parking lot after a date. Hopeful. Camera's fade back..higher and higher and higher, with this song playing in the background, "It's my life to live my way, so i'll keep daydream anyway. Who knows, maybe someday it will all come true, and i will get my way. And we will live as one. I'm caught up in a dream, I'm gonna wish for it all. No one is gonna tell me how, no way, this is my dream now. I'm caught up in what seems simply impossible. I ain't gonna change a thing. No way, it's my dream."


5. Who are you going to pass this stick to? (3 persons) and why?
Another tough one. Wish I could invite everyone. I'm gonna exclude all you great people who previously volunteered your iPod shuffles. I kinda know your musical tastes now. We've already seen Greek’s soundtrack. So here's who I'm inviting. The first invite goes to So Midwestern who's been with me since November and vice versa. We've become good friends. I sense she has good taste in music. Here's her chance to prove it. The second invite's a bit of a reach. I know she likes music and enjoys her iPod. She doesn't read this blog, I don't think. She probably doesn't have the time because she's a big-time blogger superstar. So Fish, if you have the time, will you accept this rose? My last invite goes out to a newish reader who's already received her fair share of criticism. I've checked out her blog. Seems we have a few things in common musically. I want to see what else makes her tick. What do you say Counselor JuRiScHiCk?


5 Comments:

  • *grin* It came to the end of your post, you got to me, and then you rhymed. Dear Lord. I say you're on! Stay tuned.

    By Blogger JuRiScHiCk, at 3:05 PM, February 20, 2005  

  • It's cool..I know some other straight men who like the Indigo Girls.....

    By Blogger Lyss, at 7:31 PM, February 21, 2005  

  • I love James Taylor. That's one of the only, and I mean ONLY entire CDs I downloaded onto my Dell Mini DJ. Usually I just pick my select few favorites. James Taylor reminds me of growing up, my parents listening to him, especially my dad. It's always so soothing & comforting to me.

    Also love American Pie. Only the Don McLean version though... Madonna's just really irritated me!

    Yesterday is another wonderful, beautiful favorite.

    Good songs! Have you ever heard Fleetwood Mac's Sara? Just wondering :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:09 PM, February 21, 2005  

  • JC. I saw your list! I liked many, if not all, of your selections.

    Lyss, just don't tell Greek.

    GFF, Of course I've heard FMac's Sara. Beautiful.

    By Blogger Plantation, at 6:46 AM, February 22, 2005  

  • I guess Fish doesn't wanna play. Would you like to Miss Jewels?

    By Blogger Plantation, at 8:07 AM, February 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home